The Mazda Flatbed Project

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Varsity L&G, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

Well, it sarted today with the removal of the bed.

Goto the steel yard this week to pick up the steel.

I will update this thread with pics and progress as the work progress's.

The idea here is to be able to get all my equiptment around with out a trailer, and be able to come home and drive in the garage with out having to unload so that I am ready to go the next morning with only having to start the truck and lock the garage.

P0007108.JPG

2. Varsity L&G

And the side view

P0007106.JPG

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Those are great little trucks.

4. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Definitely great trucks...that was my first landscaping truck, same color and all! Good luck, keep us posted

5. BladeRunner1967

BladeRunner1967 LawnSite Member

Had a B2000 long time ago. Hit 100,000 miles and thought it was gonna nickel and dime me so I sold it. Man am I a dummy. Loved that truck. Good luck

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I've thought about setting up one of the mazdas or toyota as a mowing/ maintenece truck. Any Idea what kind of milage I could expect with a 1000# on a flat bed ?
    yes I know I'll have to beef the suspension up.

7. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

Have been using my 1972 B1600 truck for years, and still use it to this day. Great little trucks :)

8. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Mac- sold that truck in 1994, I would have to say the mileage was usually around 20 mpg loaded. I wasn't as worried about the price of gas then...didn't pay as much attention as I do now! I am also sorry I sold that truck... the guy who bought it made it into a low rider:rolleyes: Mike

9. Varsity L&G

I bought 2 of these trucks. I will convert this one for mowing and the other one for Maint. The other one is extended cab.

It is amazing how much more power these trucks have with out the bed on it.

The flatbed will have to extend about another foot past the frame rail and then I want it to angle down to cut off on the amount of ramp hanging off the back.

Still trying to plan out the racks and bins on the vehicle and how high off the frame I have to be in order to allow for wheel clearance loaded and unloaded.

The bottom will be made out of the steel screen looking stuff to cut down on weight.

The scrap yard charges .25 per pound for steel. I am hoping we can get most if not all of it there.

10. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

if you really want to save weight get aluminum. It will cost more upfront but me relatively maintenance free and substancially lighter. The only downside is its harder to work (ie, need a special welder with some skills to back it up).

Nice, truck, i'm looking for something similar for my lightduty work