1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

The money is drying up

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Gravel Rat, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

This isn't doom and gloom just a fact with the USA economy sinking faster than the Titananic pulling down everything with it. It is causing people not to spend any money. I'am seeing it where I live getting even slower people are not spending any money.

I didn't think that many people in my area played in the stock market and with them loosing money. After the US bailout didn't do anything and the world markets started taking a dive bomb its shaken up investors. Its becoming another nail in the realestate coffin with people pulling out of realestate deals because they are worried about spending money. Investors and people with money are hanging on to what they have and not spreading it around.

Pretty hard to be positive when other people are saying its not a good situation.

The people in construction and related jobs are being laid off or only getting a few days a week. New construction is getting close to non existant. Landclearing and developing is non existant excavation contractors have equipment sitting with no work. Even landscaping has dropped off because people are cutting back on spending.

The big problem contractors are not getting paid so they can't afford to keep paying employees with no money coming in. These guys are struggling to keep in the black. The bills keep rolling in money rolling out with dribbles of money rolling in. I know a few companies that are owed thousands of dollars some are owed over 20 grand. People are getting put on COD lists. I know excavation contractors spend half their time trying to collect money and its getting worse.

I think I might be joining the crowd that is saying the States "beeped up" and screwed up the world credit market. You know how tough its going to be to get a bank loan now. It will be next to impossible to get a mortgage for a house.

Yep I'am ranting yes I'am frustrated that things are going to chit. Moving to another area isn't going to help my situation with jobs in short supply all over B.C. . I'am stuck in a rut and its getting deeper now its thank god I have a job.

Go ahead and bash me all you want :laugh:

2. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

What kind of cheese do u like

3. glad you told me, I hadn't heard that on any radio or tv yet.

4. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Here we go again [​IMG]

I'm so glad you are on my ignore list GR, I love the ignore feature!

5. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't even watch the news anymore. As long as I've got plenty of work to do and work planned out I'm good for a while. Money is still flowing good around here with a bunch of projects going on. Fellow I'm working for currently has more money than he knows what to do with, Never asking for how much it will be... just do it.

I'm booked for the rest of the year.

6. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

We have 6 jobs in front of us.........had 4, but got two more today. Bidding another tomorrow......

7. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

My brother has work lined right up to March 2009, nothing but large barns and pre-loadings jobs. With the real estate market here going down, people are buying land and wanting it "changed".

It's doing pretty darn good here.

8. wanabe

wanabe LawnSite Senior Member
    from So. IL

Hmmm, Then why are they still building new subdivisions in my area? One developer is spending 4 million on a subdivision to just stabilize the ground. They are building over a old coal mine. I guess that they plan on selling them?

9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Ignore me all you want your president is screwed up the world economy.

I really don't care anymore I hope the USA does go into a deep recession you guys created the mess. The USA is creating massive unemployment with the credit market is in touble. I guess the millions of people unemployeed in the USA doesn't mean anything. There was 150,000 jobs lost in the USA in one month. The US gov't spends 700 billion dollars worth of of money and does nothing it makes the credit problem worse.

It is disgusting how things went from good to bad so fast. With the banks being tighter than a virgin with money there isn't much hope for me buying a house.

I hate seeing guys that have been in the excavation business all their life struggle. I hate seeing jobs that kept generations of famillies employeed for decades disapear like a fart in the wind.

Even the scrap metal market fell out because the US economy is doing so bad.Scrap steel went from 250 a ton to 100 a ton. Hauling and recycling scrap was keeping people employeed for a year.

Ohwell you guys are screwed but choose to ignore it figuring the problem will magicly will go away.

I find it funny how the wool is pulled over your guys eyes just the way the US gov't wants it. Keep you guys out of the loop and when it comes time to pay back the debt they will take every cent you own even the clothes off your back.

I'am glad to be Canadian and live in a country that isn't so far into debt and doesn't owe other countries trillions of dollars. I hope you guys are learning mandarine so when China takes over the USA you can speak the langauge.

Good Luck guys

10. westcoh

westcoh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alberta

All I can say is as a Canadian myself, I'm embarrased by Gravel Rat's posts, and really hope you guys down in the USA don't think everyone up here thinks like him.