The more things change the more things stay the same

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by FIMCO-MEISTER, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Make certain you single-clamp poly pipe over the barbs, and not on the smooth shoulder of the fitting.

2. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

What the thuck is fat supposed to mean?!
    Quit messin' with me unintentionally on purpose! :laughing:

3. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Is that green poly? Never saw anything but black poly.

No need to hammer. Just a few seconds from a propane or MAPP gas torch INSIDE the poly end. Then the barb fittings will slide in easier by hand. Crimp-clamp it and you are done. Don't over cook the poly or it will be no good.

And I do not wanna hear it from any one that the torch heat is damaging the poly. It just is not damaging at all.

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

See quite a bit of it here. One company in particular used to use it all the time. I think it might be rated for 200 psi if I recall correctly.

5. WalkGood

Regional thing maybe?

Actually, I kinda like the color. More peaceful to look at while working.

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Green poly scares me. I recall an old nightmare of a system with green poly pipe. Green all the way through, and it would split "crosswise" instead of in the usual way.

7. Even Cut Lawn Care

Even Cut Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

That would take forever to heat every end that a fitting is going in...why would you do that? Just a few taps with the crimpers puts the fitting right where it needs to be. That seems like an added expense and waste of time IMO

8. WalkGood

Do you install poly?

I guarantee that anyone who uses a torch with poly will install poly insert fittings much faster than you will. And their hands won't ache likes yours will by wrestling with couplers and tees. Plus, they won't crack any fittings.

If you've ever tried it, you'd understand.

Not opinion - FACT.

9. Fireguy97

Fireguy97 LawnSite Senior Member

Try a little tap on 1 1/2" or 2" poly with your crimpers in early spring, or late fall.. :laugh: :laugh: I'll be in, out and done with my hair dryer or my torch.

Mick

10. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

True, maybe over 90 degree heat not so important.All other times . a torch in the plumbing bucket. More so with repairs when pipe has water in it.