The more things change the more things stay the same

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by FIMCO-MEISTER, Jul 13, 2010.

1. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

MAPP works fine and is fast. Plus I only need to have one kind of fuel to carry.

To get that bow/play you need when you reassemble in tight quarters, I dig sideways inside the hole with a hand trowel. Plus, the torch heat makes it easier to manipulate the poly. No need to use four 90* elbows to reconnect.

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I carry a separate plumbing toolbox, and the MAPP tank and torch head are inside. Toolboxes for underground repairs have the propane torch. Sometimes, the heating will not be restricted to just the ends of the tubing - some judicious heating of more of the poly will make it more bendable, and save digging time.

3. Tom Tom

Tom Tom LawnSite Bronze Member

Like Dana was saying the "Eagle" poly pipe out of Hastings,NE is top notch, no heating needed for 1" and even 1.25".

4. Mark B

Mark B LawnSite Bronze Member

I have just started with a company that uses poly. I have always used PVC, so far the poly has been good. Alot easier to work with, not waiting for the pipe to be dry. What kind of crimping tool are you using. The tool I have has short handles a little harder on the wrist.

5. A borrowed crimping tool. I sure wish I had a Juan crimping tool.

6. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

Is that like a Juan automatic shovel device?

7. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

What makes it easier with no heating compared to black poly? It would seem that the inside diameter *should* be the same for both. Is the Eagle brand somehow slick-er or lubed inside?

8. Every system so far I've looked at is MAXI PAWS. Some are 10+ years old and still cranking away. Partly I think it is due to pressure but a recent acquaintance told me hard water gives them issues. one of the few heads you can cheat on head to head coverage and still be okay.
    I also installed what may be the first pigtail in central MT. On an RC-7. As soon as I can get my hands on RBs new remote i'm gonna. All RB controllers here as well.
    My goal is to have 50 blowout customers by the end of the season. Every customer gets added into my DROID.

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I've had Maxipaws and Minipaws installs for around 30 years, and no water issues, hard or otherwise.

10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Could be a challenge to get 50, since you're starting so late in the season. But I know Pete loves a challenge. Then you can really get into those blow out threads coming soon.