The most bang for your buck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PalmettoGreen, Feb 7, 2007.

1. PalmettoGreen

PalmettoGreen LawnSite Member

I am a solo operator who is looking to make the transition to full time in 07'. I am needing some advice from you veterans out there. What have you done to show the most return for your money when tring to get new clients? Thanks

2. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

palmetto, ive been mowing for 16 years, but only the last 2 full time. i dont advertise, im refered by my customers all the time. just starting though you dont have that luxary. when i did advertise, i put flyers in mailboxs, ads in the paper, mailed letters to people listed in the phone book, none of them worked good. the most luck i had was i hand painted a piece of 1'x3' plywood and put "landscaping" and my phone number in front of my house. i had so many calls that after i took it down i had to put "no new customers" on my answering machine. i live on a main road though, if you dont maybe one of your customers does, or family or friend. if its a customer tell them you will do some free work if you can put it out. good luck, after 2 years full time im over 90 lawns and growing

3. PearceLawn

PearceLawn LawnSite Senior Member

10 years as a solo op and the best thing to do is door hangers. Lots of them. And after you get the initial base of customers do good,on time work and the rest will fall into your lap from the referrals you get from the initial set of customers you had.

Take pride in the way you look and act when doing your estimates for the first set of customers. Keep that attitude up while doing the actual work and others will see and help you grow your business.

Hope this helps.

4. Frosty03

Frosty03 LawnSite Member

Not sure I fully understand the question, but if you mean what does it take to keep customers from one year to the next? That's easy.

Do quality work.
    Be consistent.
    Show up when you are supposed to.
    Be professional and dress accordingly. (No ratty clothes, wear a shirt.)

Always...always be courteous. Even if some a-hole just gave you a hard time. :cool: (The best part of dealing with the a-holes is you judge when you have had enough and CAN tell them thanks, but I believe it is now time you found yourself another lawn service) :drinkup:

Don't be too busy to stop for just a few seconds to say hi to your customers or at least wave to them. You don't have to have a long conversation, just a courteous hello and how are you. Say something like, "I'd really just love to sit and talk, but I have too many yards to get through before dark, But I still wanted to take a minute and say hello."

From time to time, tell your customers thank you.

Throw in a little "extra" now and then to say thank you as well. Like take 10 minutes and trim that 6 foot hedge by the door or that holly bush. That usually will lead to extra services you can charge for.

If you have "Extra" mulch from a prior job, put some around one or two of their bushes/trees If there is no bed there, make a new one. That gets me a lot of mulch jobs right there and takes less than 5 minutes.

If you are looking for new clients, your satisfied customers are your best advertising. Tell them you are looking for new clients and give them some of your business cards.

You can also give them incentives by telling them you will give them $30 dollars off their bill each time they send you a customer that signs-up for your services. If they send you business, honor your end of the deal. It will pay for itself in the long run.

For instance, three customers each sends me a new account. Total cost to me = $90.00. Three new accounts at $110 a month = $330 a month. Not too bad for a $90.00 investment.

Honesty is the best policy. If you don't lie, you don't need a photographic memory.

If you damage something, tell your customer right away and then take steps to fix it. Or if they are not home, fix it and then tell them.

Wash your truck.

Treat them right, they will treat you right.

I could go on and on, but I hope that answers something for you.

5. wowmowwow

wowmowwow LawnSite Member

thanks frosty fo taking the time...i will use thats line about getting out of an conversation with AloT of people... need a freind? get a mower and they will come..lol thanks

6. PalmettoGreen

PalmettoGreen LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the comments and good ideas. good luck to everyone this year.