1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

The most fuel efficient way?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by martyman, Apr 25, 2008.

1. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

If you had to take more time to do your properties with a 21" mower but it saved fuel would you do that? I find that I have enough time in schedule to do more of the medium sized properties with my 21" instead of my 42" rider, would you think that a 21" is more fuel efficient?
  2. CogentRES

CogentRES LawnSite Member

Make sure your tanks are empty. Fill them and note how much fuel you put in. Cut your lawns with the rider and the following week use the push mower. Compare the amount of fuel each used. Then do fun things with your data....
    Time comparisons, productivity lost or gained, make a spread sheet.
  3. Tagg

Tagg LawnSite Member

22 acres ???
    Also I would start with the tanks FULL.
  4. martyman

martyman LawnSite Member

I don't know how accurate it would be considering some weeks are rain soaked and the sh@t happens factor when dealing with equipment. Over the years using the large and small machines I think the small machine is much more fuel efficient so I will try doing what you said one week.
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

interesting point but i think i would have mutiny on my hands if i told my guys we were using 21's to mow the 600 acres a week we do :laugh:
  6. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I can't imagine a life where time isn't an issue. And even if I COULD imagine it, I'd still want any and all spare time for ME. I have no idea what your situation is, but for me the fuel costs would be inconsequential. Get in, get out...
  7. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

ihave parked my z and have gone back to my toro 32 wb to save gas-and try to loose some weight!