1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

the most lawns a 2man crew an handle

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Jmc Lawn care, May 31, 2003.

1. MGMII

MGMII LawnSite Member

too many deciding factors, size of yard, travel time, equipment, etc.... For our 2 man crew, anywhere from 17-31 per day in 8 hr. day. 31 is all in one subdivison, 17 is spread out and larger lawns.
  2. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

The number of accounts serviced is really not important. The amount of revenue produced per hour that will make or break the business. JMO.
  3. gramps

gramps LawnSite Member

If I cut two and get thee hundered each and then lose one I still equal your three hundred. Allso how long could two take. And i would use very little gasoline.:confused:
  4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Wow, what an old thread.

I still think I would rather have many smaller lawns than a few larger ones. Every year people come and go, and I usually end up with less at the end of the year than when I start. Either by my choice or theirs. If I lose a couple, it doesn't affect me as much at lower price/account as it does if the price/account is larger. That lower ratio isn't something I come by by charging too little, it's because the lawns are smaller.

Trumping all that though is the theory I have been trying to implement to work smarter not harder. Higher rates, smarter billing, targeting services for slower parts of the year so I make more $$ more evenly throughout the year. I get tired of jamming a high volume of lawns all year to be burned out at the end. I'd rather have a nice, manageable work load during the season and find a way to garner more work during the spring and fall when I have been traditionally slower.
  5. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, but you're still out $300. If I loose one at $25-$30, I'm out 10% of what you lost. Or 1 out of 15 lawns I can do in a day, which comes to 7% of my daily income. You are out 50% of your daily income. If I do 15 a day 5 days a week, and I lose 1 customer, I lose 1.3% of my workload. If you do 2 a day 5 days a week, you are out 10% of your workload. Big difference.

And if my schedule is compact and divided by neighborhoods, I have very little driving to do between accounts.

6. gramps

gramps LawnSite Member

That's all true. But I'm out spraying weeds 0r mabey just buying some Gasoline. Or just maybe I'm putting some bondo on my rusty truck. And i still made three hundred bucks.
  7. gramps

gramps LawnSite Member