The "MOTHER" of all Website Traffic Advice - M.O.T.A.W.

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by mdvaden, Apr 1, 2009.

1. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

What is your Mother of Website advice pages?

Of all the stuff I assembled over the past several years, I've carved down all my website related pages to just this one:

Website Traffic: Gold Rush Fever

Used to have reams about keywords, text density and so on. But there are warehouses worth of that stuff already online, so that page focuses on a local service website. I'll add one or two favorites later this week.

Be sure to list your top few articles too.

2. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the article has some good points, but is foolish in thinking that SEO will ever go away as long as their is a market in Search Engine Algorithms. The points are not good debates in that; there are 10 results in a first page of Google (which can increase whenever Google wants to) and no ethical SEO will take 2 clients with the same keyword desires. That would be foolish and unprofessional.

As long as the search engine's control a commercial market and they are based upon an algorithm that can be studied and manipulated, there will ALWAYS BE SEO. SEO may change and always does, but it will always be.

There are outside markets that are of greater threat to SEO in the Domaining industry with Mass Domain Development services like www.WannaDevelop.com and the Domaining industry is rapidly evolving into part of the SEO trade, but evolution is progression, not regression...

Print advertisements have been suffering in a consistent manner for years now and internet advertising has been growing and is forecasted to grow continuously for the next 5 years.

Here is a great article about the SEO industry and it's growth and development:

http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2007-11-12-n28.html

Here is a recent filing by SEO.com just for a little "juice":

Search Engine Optimization Firm SEO.com Grows During Downturn

SEO.com, a search marketing firm, displays incredible growth and stability during the down economy, growing the company by over 300 percent in the last year.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  3. mdvaden

I think the most important thing to remember, is if 100 companies hire the best SEO person in the world, and their businesses were all the same, that SEO person couldn't get them to all rank good if thier life depended on it.

Therefore - good quality site is King of the internet. And SEO is subordinate.

That's the way the it all began when the internet and website first made an appearance. And interestingly, the trend is headed back that way in the most populated places.

In our area, there may be 130 landscape companies with websites. In the next 10 years, I estimate about 400 to 500 landscape websites. At that point, I have a feeling that the AGE of a site may be one of the few factors that gives an edge if the algorithyms still include that facet.

Those are good reads ...

The variety in there is nice. I like multi-faceted articles quite a bit more when I can find them.

4. Team-Green L&L

Here's where some old-school mentality comes in. A lot of folks think that an SEO Strategist's job has specific functions, but in reality, an SEO Strategist will use whatever tactics work "Right Now" to secure high organic rankings. Right now that is content. We just use properly formatted content, with good links in it, and distributed to the correct sites. On-site optimization is almost obsolete except for the title and description tags and keyword ratios.

Off-site optimization is bigger than ever and when the tides change, a good SEO will already have things in place to deal with the changes. Take me, for instance, I know that Google has initiated the Universal Search and I know that various forms of content are King, but content is timely to produce, so I have cataloged 1000's of unique articles using open-source techniques. Now, I have an immense amount of content to use at my disposal, while the rest of the world is hiring bloggers and trying to type up 10 articles a day. That sucks!

5. mdvaden

I think the confustion for a lot of people - not you of course - is when they apply the label "SEO" to general web design and the other aspects.

Just as "Thuja plicata" specifies "Western Red Cedar" and no other plant, "SEO" specifies "Search Engine Optimization" due to the exact abbreviation.

Since good "SEO" does virtually no harm, and offers many potential amounts of good, it's worth employing.

As far as "unique" articles, I'm not sure what your definition of "unique" is. I follow the dictionary meaning, that unique is "one" of a kind. One definition is "radically distinctive" and standing alone. So a unique article must be one-of-a-kind.

From browsing the internet, it's pretty obvious that unique articles don't stay unique very long. Not if they were worth writing and publishing. Just this week, I was Google safe wood for parrots, and noticed that pieces of my safe woods for birds page is already being used at other sites in bits and pieces. Some forums have half the page or more pasted and posted.

Even if the content of an article is unique, it sits like the racked balls of a pool game until a few days or weeks passes. Just like the billiard balls, the article is broken and dispersed in short order.

Sometimes that's where the authority or experience behind the text is the most important part.

It's not merely whether the article was good or unique. It's a matter of who's website it is listed on.

Which is one of the main reasons I'm a firm believer in the "About Us" section of a website. People with good training and experience will benefit from an About Us section. But a newbie may be better off omitting an About Us section telling about their 6 months experience.

6. Team-Green L&L

MVaden,

You are one of the few people on here that understands. You are a little too ethical in the last post though. Google asks that all pages by, "at least 30% unique". We, SEO Strategists know that's still not enough. My articles are, at least 60% unique, but I have developed a fancy Content Spinner (much better than you find on the web) that does a lot of work for me. I just use A WHOLE LOT of spin tags.

Now, to the completely a ethical SEO Strategist you would have to stay away from Spin Tags and if you are only optimizing 1 site I suggest you forget the word. Spin Tags are not viewed as ethical by one-site DIY's and I do agree in part. I wish there was a method of SEO that was cost-effective to do for professionals without ANY help, but if I wrote 100% unique content for every client on every article and press release, they would never be able to afford me. Only in-house teams can pull that off.

Could you imagine excavating a driveway with a shovel? You CAN do it and it is the safest way to excavate without causing damages. So, will you dig out my drive at 6" with a couple shovels for me?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  7. Team-Green L&L

I agree that the rank and relevancy of the link partner is of great importance. Actually, there was a great article written by SEOMoz on what is the key factors in SEO today as voted on by 37 of the industries top SEO Strategists. They do this each year, so you may want to keep track. I am beginning to do a few interviews myself in efforts to contribute to this research:

http://www.seomoz.org/article/search-ranking-factors

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The thing about these SEO strategists, and it's not so much that I think they're FOS.

But they didn't build Google, and they don't own it.
    Yet it's your web site and mine they want to improve the rankings of, on engines that don't belong to them?
    What business of theirs is that?

A web site goes far deeper than that.

See ....
    It's not like taking a car to an auto mechanic for some much-needed repairs, much as it might seem that way.
    Unfortunately it's more like handing some perfect strangers the keys so they can go take it for a test-drive.

Don't believe the hype.

9. Team-Green L&L

The only comment this deserves is "okay..dee...dee...dee".

10. mdvaden

I think that many SEO people are thick with BS on the sales end. You probably know why.

How many SEO people are out there who promise how much they can do for sites and rankings? Yet - for every niche and trade on the internet, how many websites are in the top 3 positions? Or even in the top 10? Far too many SEOs talk about our sites like money to be made, but lack the responsibility of being the one who owns the website. Again - back to the ownership thing you mentioned.

"Webdesign" - totally different thing. There are a billion ways to build a billion great looking websites. If someone can design nicely - that's an easier bargain and promise to make.

But in the SEO realm, I find many of the promises about top rankings to sound so much like car salesman out to make a commission.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009