1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

The movement to reduce Turf is on.

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Duekster, Jul 10, 2012.

1. unit28

unit28 LawnSite Bronze Member

I read somewhere that birds, frogs, wildlife...oh and and bugs, have a respiratory system.
    And about the issue of bio-mass, I just don't get it.
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  2. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

The point being is lawns provide many benefits too. People like lawns. They may over water them which is why responsible LCO's need to understand proper lawn care and help educate the HO.
  3. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

most these chem lawns dont get any use, other than people looking at it
  4. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

Mine is also used as a giant "green" toilet for my 3 dogs to take dumps. I also use it to play cornhole and bocci ball when I have backyard cookouts. It does look pretty too. It's kinda like a big billboard for my business.

I agree with the reclaimed water comment, Chris. My parent's have it in their development down in Jax Fl. I have contemplated adding some sort of rainwater collection system in my yard and plumbing that into an irrigation system for the lawn and ornamentals.
  5. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I assume you mean recreational use. Turf does have value. It is a very effective ground cover, it prevents erosion, it is a good carbon sink, traps pollution, produces oxygen.

Even highly maintained lawns trap more carbon than the equipment used to maintain it. It is a highly effective buffer between structures and exterior pest pressures. Particularly those created by native landscapes as well natural and undeveloped area.

Not every lawn has to be a chemlawn either as you put it.