The mystery behind strips?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, May 1, 2002.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Not stripes...

You know... that nice line of un-cut grass.

I'm getting some nice strips!!!

It seems to be happening between the first and second blades (from the discharge side) on my Lazer.

What's causing it? It's really aggrevating me :mad: :angry:
  2. Wrong size blades.

Does it do it only when turning?
  3. Lawn-Scapes

They are the right size blades.

It does it going straight.
  4. chariot

chariot LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Lawngodfather, I have noticed mine leaving these strips on occasion when turning. What are your thoughts on that since you brought it up? Any explaination for this? Thanks
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know WHAT would be causing it there. My problem was toward the left side of the deck as you were sitting on the machine. A row going away from you would show a light streak in it about a third of the way into the row from the left, and vice-versa from the other direction, only with a dark streak. This was caused from layover of the grass, at the forward sweep of my center blade. This was due to the use of notched foil blades. When we switched to solid foil highlifts, (after Exmark came out and looked at it on a job) this cleared it right up. I can STILL drive down the road, and look at a bunch of Lazer cuts that look like this. I can always tell what blades they used because of it. I hope this helps.
  6. Tom; is the grass real wet?

chariot; the blades do not touch and are about 1/2" apart as they are off set and overlap to compinsate for that. What happens in the blades miss that grass as you turn in the gap between the blades.

Runner; I don't use Exmark blades at all. Silver Streak knoched high lift and never has this problem.
  7. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Any three bladed or two bladed deck will leave strips between the blades if the front of the deck is too low. Please try to visualize the blades in action. If the front of the blades are over 1/4" lower that the back, the center of each blade rotation is the lowest at the center of its arc and mows higher where they meet in the middle and highest in back, so what happens if the front of the blade is (lets say 1/2" lower than the back) lower, you end up with eliptical patterns for each blade with the apecies of these elipses meeting where the blades meet. It is not a strip, it is grass that is taller than the center of the elipse. and it comes to a very definite point at the blade overlap section of the mower, making it look like a strip.

My JD decks only have 3/16" spacing on a three blade deck - overlaped at 19 degrees - which is about standard and if the front is too low it appears that they are leaving a strip, but if the deck is leveled front to back - THE STRIP disappears

Thanks, Brad
  8. Lawn-Scapes

LGF.. The grass is a little juicy but not wet. It is tall and thick though.. maybe 6 inches. I am cutting most lawns at 3 3/4" right now. I'm using standard gator blades.

I find it really strange that it leaves this 1" strip still standing :confused:

I was thinking I may need a new belt but if that were the case it would leave more than a little strip...
  9. AH HA

I have found My Lazers don't cut well above 3.5". Even with really good high lift blades.
  10. Lawn-Scapes

Brad... Thanks for the info. I'll check that out tomorrow.