The nastiest weed I've encountered...but what is it?

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Florida Gardener, Apr 1, 2011.

1. This sucker was hiding in a bed of vincas. I got to pull it and pull my hand back right away....tiny thorns all up and down....so i put on a pair of gloves and it STILL went through...this thing hurts like a mofo....

I ended up digging it out and holding it by the roots....anyone know what this is?? Should be called devil-weed.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Leo the Landscaper

Leo the Landscaper LawnSite Member

Looks like Horsenettle (Solanum sp.). If it is....all parts of this plant are poisonous, except the mature fruit.

3. hmmmm....not sure...i looked through my UF Weed ID book and it has horsenettle but doesn't look exactly the same plus no fruit on this one that I pulled.....and it looks pretty mature....

4. Leo the Landscaper

Leo the Landscaper LawnSite Member

it does not look like it has flowered yet...so no fruit.

5. hmmm....good point.

6. The-Other-Side

The-Other-Side LawnSite Member

Interested in knowing what satans flower is called! I ran into these last year. They were hiding in some hastas and I learned the hard way about pulling them also. I did find that if you wear gloves and dig your fingers down a little in the soil around it, you yank it up w/o having severe bleeding afterwards.

7. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Soda apple

8. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Damn, that thing has teeth! Bet it's got a nasty attitude that goes along with those fangs.:laugh:

9. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Leo is correct, it is not soda apple.

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

http://www.invasiveplantatlas.org/subject.html?sub=2446