The natives are getting restless

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Gravel Rat, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The equipment operators and truck drivers in the area that have been laid off are getting restless. The reality check is sinking in they might not be going back to work for awhile maybe never :dizzy:

Some of these guys have never been laid off ever in their 30 years of running equipment. The panic is starting the household bills keep rolling in with no paychecks coming in.

Talking to some nail pounders I know they said its getting tough to find work.

Restaurant jobs are on the line its slow so employees are being laid off, grocery stores are next, people are cutting back on what they are spending.

Guys were making money off of scrap metal its gone from 290 dollars a ton to 15 dollars a ton :cry:

The good times and unlimited jobs and money has turned to praying you can keep your job or lucky to have a job :confused:

All I can say is thank god I still have a job so far.
  2. ccstrebe

ccstrebe LawnSite Senior Member

I swear you are just like a Swiss watch. Earlier today I was thinking it was about time we heard from Gravel Rat again.
  3. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

haha ditto.. but he left out the part where guys are losing their machines, that the miners and loggers have no work either and the real estate market is in the crapper.....
  4. Bleed Green

Bleed Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Grocery store workers will always have a job, people have to eat they can not do without that.
  5. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Glad you like your 297C, after over a year of owning mine I have no regrets, but it is one huge machine and a smaller one would be nice at times, the controls are the best I've ever used in a loader...I was looking at your track pics and was thinking it would be a blast to run my Honda pilots on them...but the drive is to far:laugh:
  6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The realestate is dead there hasn't been much moving for over 6 months. I can see some realtors changing careers they have to be living off of their piggy bank by now. The grocery store is cutting back on employees because people have cut back on buying groceries. Restaurants are laying off staff not bringing in enough money to pay them.

Right now one of the forestry contractors has 5 million plus dollars worth of equipment sitting no work. Never had to lay off employees in the 35 years in business.

When you have 40 guys in one company not working with a monthly payroll of 30 grand a month. The company equipment payments must exceed 50 grand a month. Have 5 35 ton excavators sitting doing nothing that gets expensive I know 2 of them are 2008 machines the rest are 2006-2007 then you have ADTs sitting, log loaders and logging trucks not working either.

Even Lafarge North America is telling its divisions that employees will be laid off and cut the expenses back.

Would you like to be a equipment operator go from making 280 to 336 dollars a day to not making any money. To loose 5900 to 7000 dollars a month in wages hurts like h*ll in comparison I make 3400 a month.

For the excavation contractors the slow down might be the last nail in the coffin for some of these guys. Can't run a business when more money goes out than comes in. The only way your going to get a job is work the cheaper than the competition. It hasn't gotten to vandalizing the competitions equipment yet it may get to that. It may get to the point where the contractors will fold the company and take a loss to get out of the business.

What are you supposed to do when there is 1 job and 10 contractors after that 1 job. The baby boomers have gotten themselves into trouble they have got so deep into personal debt. They have bought houses that were way way over priced. They can't sell them, they couldn't even get half of what they are paid for. When your dropping 1 million for a house that has devalued to half in 6 months.

Like I said I have a job I'am lucky to have a job.
  7. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Didn't read it, don't think I want to.......but my ouiji board tells me it is the s.o.s. just another day from chicken little......
  8. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

I started to read pebble mouse's latest post but once I read "the real estate," I stopped, there's no point anymore...
  9. CAT powered

CAT powered LawnSite Bronze Member

So I ended up buying a tub grinder at last week's sale. Along with umpteen trailers and an Ingersoll-Rand light plant.

It's a WHO grinder with a 450 horsepower CAT engine. I can tell it's been working recently because every moving part is still shiny instead of rusted up. I also bought its exact twin that obviously hasn't run for a while so I have a donor machine for any parts. The second grinder cost me a grand total of 5,000 dollars.

I'm hoping to have them hauled back to my yard by the end of the month. I'm getting them moved by a professional hauler because they are overwidth.
  10. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

Nice CAT, have to get some pics of them up here, what are you loading them with, once you get them up and running? What kind of trailers and how many did you buy?