The nerve of some people...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by procut, Mar 13, 2007.

1. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

You would not belive the number of people who ask me how much money I make. Within the last few months I have had several people straight up ask, "How much do you make doin' all those lawns and stuff?" I find this very rude, I don't go around asking them how much they make.

2. I get asked that all the time, you'd think I was a politician with the answers I give.

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

How do you answer them?

If it were me, I'd shoot back with something like this, "enough to stay out of the soup line."

4. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Tell them, enough to buy and sell you and take 2 weeks off!:hammerhead:

5. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

two weeks? I take off from dec 15 to Mar 15th! People are floored when I tell them I put money away in June so I can afford to take the winter off.

6. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont 'make' any money yet, b/c of new business and all, but I can usually bore someone pretty quick by asking if they mean gross or net?, or if they mean before I pay insurance, taxes, payments, etc.? Do they work for the IRS? ....usually after I start in, they dont seem so interested to know anymore.

7. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

While I do a little snow here and there, I'm pretty much off Dec 15 to Mar 15 as well. Customers often ask what I do in the winter, and I tell them I'm a stay at home Dad during the winter. I usually get pretty good responses to that.

8. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Instead of getting annoyed and posting here...

why don't you just tell those that ask the question how you feel about it. No harm in telling someone you don't feel its any of their business and you think the question is wrong.

9. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I normally either make up some stupid number, or I give some funny response. Either way, I hardly ever give someone a number thats very close.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I just give the proverbial "IT pays the bills...!"