The nerve!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by polecat63, Sep 17, 2003.

1. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

Just received a call from a customer that lives out of town. I maintain a residential rental property of his in a high end area. Been mowing it for about 4 years now. Anyway, the old tenants were a royal pain. Guy would do donuts in the yard with his golf cart and all sorts of great stuff. They were kicked out and new peeps move in. Seem decent enough. Actually pulled the weeds afte I sprayed them. Turns out the younger brother has a small lawn business on the side. Don't think mush of iit until today. Arrive to mow this and 4 others on the same street and these people have already mowed. Figure I'll just call the owner when I get home and ask what's up. I get a call from the owner and he tells me that the tenants called to say I had been slacking and that I have not mowed in weeks. Also said I was leaving large patches of grass uncut. I ask if their had been any previous complaints and he said no. I asked if that didn't seem a little odd and he agreed. I told him one of his tenants had his own company and was prolly trying to get the contract for himself. He said not to worry, just keep mowing. The nerve of these newbies. I have half the neighborhood locked up and not one complaint among the bunch and he gonna try and shaft me. Not much I can do except smile and wave as I cut the lawn. Sorry, just wanted to vent!:(

2. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

Just remember, what goes around, comes around...I've seen guys like that before and they're usually out of business before to long...just out to make a quick buck....keep doing what you've always done, you're work speaks volume:blob3:

3. Black Water

Black Water LawnSite Senior Member

Not much you can do! Bull s*#t ! Your not working for that low down wast of skin, your working for the owner. This just pizzes me off reading about it! I am a firm beliver in confrontation, and i would ask this guy to his face, did he say that about me, and watch him squirm.:angry: By the way, how bigga boy is he?:p

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

in this situation ,i would have to agree blackwater. that is if hes natured that way

5. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

Good for you Polecat, I think it is very important to stand up for yourself and yes I would say something to that guy as nicely as possible. Good luck with the storm and I hope your saws are ready!

6. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

well i know what i would do. its close to what Black Water said,but i think 1 or 2 levels higher...:D

7. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

That is pretty low.

8. Willis

Willis LawnSite Member

Aren't those remarks he made called character defamation, and scents it affected your business wouldn't he be liable for damaging your business and reputation?
    If so, you could always scare him with the mention of a law suet.

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I actually dropped a customer because of a similar situation. He wrote a letter to me, couldn't even call me, to tell me that he wasn't happy because the tenants were complaining about the work. The guy lives in Colorado and doesn't even see the place. So basically I let the customer go without even putting up a fight

10. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got to agree with the posts advising you take some kind of verbal action. Not legal, this is very small time (not meaning you or your business), VERY hard to prove in court, and so far you haven't lost $.
    With a trusted witness by your side, I'd have to make a house call. Calmly and clearly express what you've been told by property owner, and let it be known that you don't appreciate it. You MUST stay calm, even if renter gets loud, but you've got to let it be understood that HE is in YOUR territory, and he would be wise to act that way.

Competition is one thing, but lying and trying to steal accounts is theft as far as I'm concerned.