1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

The "New" 305C CR Pricing...

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by thepawnshop, Mar 9, 2006.

1. thepawnshop

thepawnshop LawnSite Senior Member

I have a simple question...

How can the same machine from the same manufacturer spec'd out identically come in 11k higher from a different dealer?!?!?! I am intrigued by the new "C" series Cat mini's, but they seem so proud of em here in these parts that they want $71,500 :nono: for it...plus tax and a $300 Doc fee. You know, I would LOVE to hear what "iowacatman" would sell this machine for at his dealership with teh following extras...

• Long Stick
    • Angle Blade
    • Cab w/ AC
    • Manual Coupler
    • High Back Seat
    • 12 & 24" Buckets
    • Hydraulic Thumb

I assure you, I wont use what you say against my local dealer, but I do know of another contractor from a different region with of course a different dealer that was offered that machine configured identically for $60,221 + tax. I do know the angle balde feature will not be available until possibly the 3rd quarter, but both salesman based the angle blade quote on the 304 cost and added a bit to it.

I think this guy is offering me the machine at full retail, even though I have asked for his best price. I know Cat is good, but....well, I'll just leave it at that.:angry:
  2. thepawnshop

Here is what I sent my Cat sales rep just now:

Jason, I am NOT comparing it dollar wise to a 50D, but I sincerely do not think you have sharpened your pencil. I also think you are quoting me full retail and that just isn't gonna work. If you tell me that is best you can do for the 305, I am fine with it, but it is much more than I am willing to pay, not to mention A LOT more than a friend of mine in another part of the country was quoted for the same machine.

I would really like to own one of these and I don't mind putting a deposit on one, especially since we both know it will more than likely be the 3rd quarter before it is available...but you are going to have to come way down. If you can't that is fine...

Let me know.
  3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Doug your getting screwed its time to look North for a excavator. You could probably order a new 305 from the Cat dealer in Ontario and have it trucked to you cheaper than you will be paying in your state.

The machine can be put on a highboy trailer so the trucking will be cheap.

Your guys dollar isn't worth as much in Canada but you will still get a better deal over what you are going to pay. I converted what you are going to pay for the 305 its almost 15,000 dollars more than what 161 Kubota sells for here.

Go to Cat website and search for a dealer in Ontario and get a price on the 305 and see what the price difference will be.
  4. vntgrcr

vntgrcr LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure what your situation is, but I just bought a Kubota 161 3 months ago brand new for $53K from a dealer in New Hampshire. I demoed CAT, Bobcat, Mustang and I will tell you the Bobcat and CAT dealer tried their best to stop me from getting the Kubota. As an industry Kubota is really making the big boys shake in their boots. The Kubota had more ameneties, better build quality for less money than the other 2. I really researched and debated what I was going to spend what I consider a large chunk of money on and the Kubota kept rising to the top. All I can say is seriously consider it. We work to hard for our money to just go along with the herd and buy something because that is what the other guy does. Good Luck
  5. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

You can't buy from another dealer without pre-approved sale..(cat rules)...protected area's...I don't agree either...
  6. thepawnshop

Funny you mention the Kubota...it has been on my mind for some time (check my previous threads) an amazingly, teh Kubota dealer called me this morning to tell em he has an OROPS machine on his yard...gonna go check it out this afternoon...
  7. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

You got to be kidding you mean you can't order a brandnew Cat excavator out of your state and have it shipped to you.

Doug is its getting screwed no way a 12,000lb mini should be that much money Cat or not.
  8. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

No...not unless the dealer agrees to let it happen...if caught the selling dealer has to forfeit all profit and pay 10% as a penalty...BS...gives some dealers a license to steal.....trust me...I'd find a way around it....
  9. iowacatman

iowacatman LawnSite Member

Right, Caterpillar asks its dealers to invest heavily in their assigned areas, in exchange, they get exclusivity. (It is actually a little more complicated than that)

I would ask your buddy to fax you the quote or order and take it to your Cat guy and ask him to 'splain himself. There could be a logical explanation for it. Also know that Cat will allocate marketing money to its dealers that dealers can use at their discretion. One dealer may use it to offer a lower price; one may use it to get a better finance rate.

If you do that and still have difficulty, send me an email and I will see what I can do.
  10. iowacatman

iowacatman LawnSite Member

By the way, just priced one out, and his price does not appear to be out of line for what you are asking for.