The new Guy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LT1-T/A, Apr 23, 2002.

1. LT1-T/A

LT1-T/A LawnSite Member

Hey guys I have been reading on this site for a few weeks now, and would just like to say this is an awesome site! I cant believe how help full everyone is. I have been cutting lawns and doing mulch jobs in my neighborhood for a few years, and I'm looking to expand out of my neighborhood. I was looking at wb's to start with, and was wonderig if getting anything larger than 48"-50" wb is worth it? The reason I ask is because A friend of mine knows a guy that is selling what he THINKS is a Gravely 61". Do any of you guys use a wb this large? Any opions are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks Ray.

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Welcome to the industry, and you'll find hours and hours of good reading and info in here. As far as the Gravely goes, they are good machines, built well, however, the older ones just didn't cut all that well. They DO do the job, though. As far as that particular machine, it must either be a 60" rather than a 61, or it must be something other than a Gravely. I own a Gravely myself, and have had no trouble with it, as they are built like tanks. If you can get into this machine for a decent price, go for it. As far as the size goes, there are a few factors to consider on that. First, what is your market area like? Suburbs, like with alot of gates? Or is it mostly wide open areas. It doesn't matter even if they are small lots, as long as they don't have narrow gates that you have to get through. See, when you are first starting out, you have to take that into consideration, that you will want to keep yourself accessible to several different types of areas to be able to gain more work at first. This is where a smaller walkbehind would come in more handier - for those gates and such. Another thing is, and I've said this before, for someone just starting out, a walkbehind, in MY opinion, is the way to go. The reason being, is the versatility. You are able to work tight areas, but you are also open to hillsides, and are able to do things like just drop them down into ditches with ease. (well, with some practice) Anyway good luck with it.