The New Guys

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Skippy, Apr 7, 2001.

1. Skippy

Skippy LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I'm new in the biz and have been working on my business plan for a few months as well as researching for different types of services offered and so on. Well I found LS. what a great place for free info right? wrong! It's got some great info but very few freebies. I like that though.I'm not looking for freebies and that's why I've been doing my research. I can imagine though those scrubs you guys always talk about coming in and taking some of the prices you guys have posted and heading out and not coming back. I just hope you all don't think just because we're new we're scrubs because we're not. I plan on competing but not lowballing with the competition. Thanx to those who do understand what it's like to start a dream and a career and try to help us youngins' out

2. skyphoto

skyphoto LawnSite Member

Welcome to lawnsite and enjoy the wealth of info and great ppl!

Peace!

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

You can't base the feelings of all the members here on a few posts. It's the same thing as basing a bad person of a race, they aren't all bad just because one is.

Welcome to lawnsite and enjoy the information. We all started at the bottom unless it was a business handed over to someone. I feel that the biggest percentage of us started out just like you, only a lot of us didn't have a great forum like this to guide us in the right direction. I know I was lost when I started, but I learned. :)

4. Skippy

Skippy LawnSite Member
    from Maine

Hi ERIC I wasn't trying to point fingers at anyone's posts I just wanted some of the people to step back to the day they were starting out and remember what it was like. I understand that it is going to be tough and look forward to it.I do appreciate the helpful info and look forward to learning much more which I know I will! So once again thank you for providing us new guys with a sense of direction and hopefully soon have accounts that look like the ones on your page.

5. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

good luck new guy, you will need it, i started out 5 years ago, haven't looked back since.1 peice of advice for ya, DON'T LOWBALL. good luck to ya i hope you make it.

6. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Skippy,
    I think a lot of the negative you are hearing is just venting. We have all lost jobs to lowballing and hacks, welcome to life. I don't budge or lowball my prices but I have, unintentionally, bid too low and chances are you will too. Maybe I forgot to carry the one or someone broke my measuring wheel that day, who knows. I doubt there is anyone out there who hasn't pulled an "oops" or "damn I shouldn't have done that". If you stick to your prices, provide good service and enjoy what you do, then welcome to a great industry to be in.
    Good Luck,
    Jim L

7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I did not start out as a scrub, lowballer or with junk equipment. I researched the market I was going into(rates people were charging) I tried to make each yard look perfect and striking with whatever equipment I had. I paid taxes too. Just because you are new to a business doesnt mean you cant do it right to begin with. I and many others on here didnt even have the benefit of Lawnsite. Your reputation begins with your first customer. We got scrub around here who obviously never have done any research on what it takes to be a top notch lawncare provider and run a profitable business. It doesnt take a college degree but it does take a little research and hard work and a person who is quality first oriented. What you are seeing on this forum is alot of people venting their frustration of many lowballing, jack leg scrubs in their area who bring the whole industry down.

8. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

Well I found LS. what a great place for free info right? wrong! It's got some great info but very few freebies.

This is one "BIG" Freebie, so appreciate what you found. We only don't appreciate new guys getting into the business and low balling, while working 65-70 hrs a week, making 300-500 and thinking it is the greatest.

9. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

Charles, I definitly agree with your last post. But alot of new guys in the business ("scrubs") just start because they got laid off from there job or want some extra side money. Most only cut grass. They dont see it as a profession, they see it as a fast easy way to make pretty good money. As soon as they start getting requests for full services and begin to put effort into there business they relize that it really is a skilled profession after all and must be run as a legit business. some of the scrubs around here do a great job though, they arent doing it on the side so there not in a rush.

10. Skippy

Skippy LawnSite Member
    from Maine

Hey guys Jeez maybe I'm getting started on the wrong foot in here. I can understand where you are coming from when you are upset about these "scrubs". I see them everywhere up here, Maine isn't a very rich state. I am getting into it for the fact that I enjoy doing it, not to make a million or because I don't have a job. It's been a dream. You know it's that good feeling you get when you leave a property and you can say "wow, that's a good looking lawn" and the feeling when it puts a smile on someone's face. I do understand the feeling when someone's cut throating prices or a customer says they got someone to do it cheaper. It's also maybe I misunderstood someone's defination of a "scrub".and felt it was directed towards the new guys but that's been cleared up. Sorry if I offended anyone.