The New Hustler Flex Seat

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by puppypaws, May 23, 2007.

1. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

You must not have the flex forks on your mower.

I ran my Super Z with the flex forks and new flex seat today for the first time and it was like floating on air. The combination of the two gives it as good a ride as there can be on a zero turn mower. There is a very big improvement in the ride over the suspension seat and flex forks alone.

A friend of mine that has the 66"/28efi Super Z with flex forks ran it for about 15 minutes and said I really can't believe the difference the back and forth motion makes for softening the ride.

He said they want to much money for this new flex seat and I said they sure do. He is 60 years old and had back surgery a few years ago, I told him the seat was not as expensive as back surgery and would not hurt nearly as much.

He said, you are right and I'll have the next one that comes in. I told him he was getting to old to worry about what something cost, I had never seen one casket in my life that was padded with money.

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I assume this is designed to "lessen" the operators body thrashing...
    The back and forth and side to side bucking action...

Is this correct or not?

The Lazer HP is bad about this. Due to the front caster placement on the 52" configuration, the side to side bucking is terrible. Not only is it rough, but I find it extremely exhausting after a while.

The Lesco Z's ride a lot better in this respect. For what it is worth, I don't know if I have ever brought this up, but if I unlock the front axle and allow it to pivot, the ride is even smoother. Oddly though, I have found side-to-side rocking to be the trade off. It's not bucking, but a whole lot of soft rocking. This can also be somewhat tiring.

Anyways, what does this seat look like?
    Does it have suspension and flex also or what?

3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Ride is one area that Hustler is a leader in. At least they are trying to address the issue. I mean there are a lot of people with bad backs or will have after riding a ZTR very long. If they ever get some dampening on the flex forks that would be awesome. On my really rough lots mine bounced a bit. But on most lawns it was like a Caddy or Lincoln. Thank God my back is good because the Exmark is rough, even with the suspension kit sometimes.

4. puppypaws

What it does is take what I would call the back slap out of the ride. It has a rocking chair type motion but it is not real easy to activate. There is just enough tension so you can't sit there in the seat not moving and rock easily like a rocking chair would but when the flex forks need to flex there is enough movement so you gently move back and forth a little and it really softens the ride.

When you hit a rough spot with a rigid suspension you automatically go back and forth, when you hit a rough spot with this set up it lets you gently move back and forth and really takes almost all the shock out.

I think this is a combination of the suspension seat, flex forks and flex seat working together. I saw somebody post on here they got the flex seat and did not see that much difference. I really don't know if he had the flex forks, I think that combination is what makes as much difference as I am feeling.

There is no side to side rocking at all, it just takes the shock out and makes it feel like you are floating.

The flex part mounts between your existing suspension seat and frame.

5. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

What did you pay for the seat ? Is it a Suspenison Flex seat combo ?

6. puppypaws

Every dealer will be different, the flex forks list for 199 and I payed 175, the flex seat list for 299 and I payed 280 but there was some freight involved because he ordered 3 and only 1 was shipped.

I just came back from church and there is a 75 year old friend of mine that looks and acts like he is 60 came back to my house and wanted to ride the mower.

He drove it about 150' and turned around and came back running about 10 mph. I said you can't tell anything babying it like that go up the water way that is about 600' long and open it up. He took and turned it loose to the end and came back, he stopped and said there is no way a mower can cut grass that fast and ride that smooth. I said well you just did it look at what you cut, he said I don't see how the blades can keep up to cut that good.

I said if you were on any other zero turn mower that could run anywhere close to that fast it would beat your brains out, he said I could not ride one half that fast without getting beat up. He said that was rough enough for me to know mine would bounce me to death in that area.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

So let me be sure I have this straight...

You said the flex seat was a mechanism that mounts under the suspension seat.

So are you saying the flex mechanism is basically $300 alone?
    Then you either buy or already have the suspension seat to mount on top of that?
    (additional cost)

8. puppypaws

The Hustler Flex Seat !!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Yes, look on the Hustler forum, it looks like a metal plate with the flex torque roller in the center, to much money like everything else this day and time but worth it for my old back.

The Hustler Flex Seat™ is the most ergonomically-designed suspension ever put on a mower. It offers these major selling points:

• Comfort – greater operator comfort because bumps are smoothed out – it’s like a rocking chair for your Hustler! Can be used with Flex Forks™ for the ultimate ride on a mower!

• Productivity – a smoother ride means greater operator comfort. Work longer. Mow faster. Minimizes “back slap” and reduces stress and strain on lower back

• Simplicity – uses existing seat and suspension.

Part # 108243 MSRP $299.00 (plus shipping)
    See your local dealer for availability and your exact pricing.

The Hustler Flex Seat™ fits large-frame Hustler Zs and Super Zs except:
    Diesel, Super Z 26-HP LC, and 927772 Hustler Z

9. lbostons

lbostons LawnSite Member

Great thread thank you for the information puppypaws. I might be calling the local dealer today.