1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

The new Kubota ZT vs. other brands.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Big 12 Lawns, May 5, 2002.

1. Big 12 Lawns

Big 12 Lawns LawnSite Member

I am looking at the new 61" ZT's because my 2 year old Great Dane has been a piece of !#@% ever since the day I bought it. In my area are Yazoo Keys at whosale prices, John Deer, Toro, Scag, and Kubota. I 'd buy eXmark, but my dealer stopped carrying them. I have been pretty impressed with the new Kubota with the Diesle engine. They are asking 8,500 for it. What do you guys recomend, and what prices should I shoot for?

Any good advice before Monday, May 6 would be much appreciated.
  2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

don't know anything about them, i am a big exmark fan but as you said, the dealer stopped carrying them.

best advice to be offered would be schedule an appointment for a demo of the exact machines you want to try then make a choice

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

There is a guy down here that bought one this year and likes it! He does not mow very much but when the grass is dry it does cut good. When it is wet it really clumps. My thing with the kubota is I do not care for all of the gadgets on the machine. it's nice when it works. Also I preferre the fabricated mower decks instead of stamped.
  4. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have had poor results with all of the other brands you mentioned other than Kubota. I have looked at the Kubota ZTR, but was not impressed with the stamped deck or the sure-to-be-expensive-if-it-fails hydro drive system. OKC has lots of dealers that carry other brands. Check out the Dixie Choppers at Pioneer Equipment near the airport. He gave me a good quote on a Chopper, although I eventually bought one closer to home.:)
  5. Big 12 Lawns

Big 12 Lawns LawnSite Member

I have found a place that carries Exmark. :D I will have to wait until Monday to get a price quote. What is a good price to pay for a 60" or 61" and what engine do you guys recomend if I have a choice? Also, do you recommend Exmark over Dixie Chopper?

By the way, thanks for the advice. It's good to know that there are still nice people out there.
  6. HazellLawnCare

HazellLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, I've got 2 Kubota ztr's with the 60 inch decks. They are awesome each one has 600 hours on them and still work like they are new. The liquid cooled diesel is unstopable. Actually truth be told I'm ordering baggers for the two I've got and I'm going out next week and pick up two of the new ones with the 28 horse and 72 inch decks.
  7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

The Exmark and Chopper are both great machines. You need to demo each one on some of your properties and see what you like or dislike about them. Then make your decision. :D
  8. marvinlee

marvinlee LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

The ZD-21 works well for me. The preference for stamped versus fabricated deck is best determined by comparing quality of execution. Either design can be made highly durable. Yes, a new Kubota hydrostatic would be expensive to replace. That is the nature of hydrostatics. They don't come cheap. A complete factory rebuild on our 32-year-old Gilson hydrostatic cost $1700, ten years ago. However, the Kubota assembly is modular and individual sections can be replaced. The system is protected by an excellent 10 micron filter and should last a long time.
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

eXmark is the no.1 selling brand of turf equipment in the nation today. There is good reason for it. These thousands and thousands MORE of users can't be wrong.
  10. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

my bro has 600 hours on his zd 21 and no problems. he is wanting the zd 28, but man, that 10,500 price tag hurts. Dav eg