The New Lowballers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnspecialties, Mar 31, 2006.

1. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Has anyone run into the latest in "lowballing"? An LCO has a few employees, usually Hispanics. Business is kinda "so-so" and they're getting a little worried they might lose some of their help to busier companies. So they start their own version of lowballing just to keep the mowers running.

I know of an outfit near here that does a lot of government stuff (schools, etc.). They have a seven acre residential (just mowing and trimming) account they charge only $75.00 a cut!

I do all my work myself. I'm a full-time firefighter so I don't have to pay any health insurance or anything like that. I couldn't (and wouldn't) touch a price like that in a million years.

2. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

If they are insured and legal as an operation they are not a lowballer - they just are business men that may make money at prices you can not do.

3. Flex-Deck

PS> I think that possible rather than call them low ballers, you may in the future call them low bidders. You do realize that the space shuttle takes off on every mission being built by the low bidder.

4. one man gang

one man gang LawnSite Fanatic
    from N. In.

Yep and there's never been any quality issues, has there?

5. Madstriper

Madstriper LawnSite Member

Ha!!!!!
    I finally get it, the lowballer thing. Quality, dependability, etc.
    Well, I actually already understood where everyone was coming from, complaining about lowballers. But that just brought it home for me!!!!!!
    Funny too...........

6. FinerCutslawnCare

FinerCutslawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

That is insane, and people like that have no idea what they are doing in my opinion, but that is just me....

7. lowballer17

lowballer17 LawnSite Member

and proud of it.

Cut, Edge and Trim for one low price of $17.00 most lawns.

Wont touch anything over 12,000 sq feet.
    Will take all the 4000 sq ft lawns we can find :clapping:

8. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

The Space exploration program is dangerous business .... considering the number of Shuttle launches & landings we have done very well ....not too say the failed missions have left more than a few broken lives .... un-less you have loved one's or friends that have been lucky enough to go into space .... you just don't have a clue .... they are basically riding on a bomb fore the first 2 minutes n riding on 'hot-can" 3 minutes coming back

Any-who ....back to the thread .... larger outfits reduce there true overhead to the point in which they can bid at lower pricing

I have state & fed contracts n believe me your $%# gotta be in order .... W/C & Insurance is a basic .... wait tell some of the OSHA requirement hit if it's a fed job

I've been asked to bid on USA Alliance almost every 2 years .... I pass .... the bid contract is over 50 PAGES ....the security clearances & piss test ..... that's why the people doing it goes to the lowest bidder .... it's bid on by companies with over 50 employees

Just because it's the lowest bidder ....has nothing to do with low-balling

9. Flex-Deck

Amen Fantasy

10. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

Hmmm? You would not do too good around here cause I talk to customers and ask them "is this what you are paying for?"...then I charge 10 dollars extra on top of theirs a week and take over the account on that super small yard...I have done so on many...I would think that you get most of your business mowing lawns for people who expect the same out of life as you do--nothing...