The new monster gets which lube?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Brieldo, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Brieldo

Brieldo LawnSite Member

in talking with 65Hoss, I've come to the conclusion that maybe 1 dollar, off the shelf Pennzoil isnt adequate for my new EPS28. That being said, what would you recommend? I'd like recommendations based on time tested experience...not, "oh, well this ad said this..."

Here's the choices as of now:

Mobil 1-Designed for water cooled motors....

Opti-4-Hoss' suggestion

Amsoli 30Wt-synthetic and amsoil is bombproof, but still...

Rotella 30wt- It isnt the 1000000 mile oil for nothing.

So, with these in mind, or others, what do you guys suggest?
  2. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

How about 10w-30 Kohler Command oil??????? Change it every 50 hrs. and the filter every 100 hrs. and you could well see 3000 + hrs. I know Eric Elm had a Chopper with over 3000 on the original engine. He did the every 50 hr. oil change. :) ;) :) ED
  3. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

Napa 10W-30. they say it's Valvoline. Changed every 50 hrs with a filter and no problems with any engine, yet.
    But all your choices sound better. Just what I've heard, no experience.
  4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Recommend the break in with reqular petro based oil then after that I have used Mobil-1 0W-30 in my 26 EFI. Its also in my Toro WB.

I have had excellent luck with them. As stated above, regular oil changes are necessary and when we run in the dust they get changed every 50-75 depending. I always change the filter with the oil. I do let the changes go a little longer in the summer when it is just flat out mowing and no dust.

The synthetics hold up to heat so much better than petro based oil. Most mowers make a good amount of heat.
    There is a reason GM loads the new Corvettes up with Mobile-1.

Good Luck
  5. I use mobil1 and never had a problem.Opti-4 & and amsoil are both great products.
  6. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

I went with Castrol Syntec on my Z HP last year at the first oil change.. I have been using Castrol in all my engines for many years with no problems, so I figured I'd stick w/castrol for synthetic.
    The cost of synthetic really isn't that high when you compare the benefits, and considering you're only using a couple Qt.s at a time... It's cheap enough anyway.