The NEW Seagull ?

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Pro-Scapes, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

2. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

Looks like they are carrying Unique's line under the name "meridian line."

Is Seagull considered a distributor?

3. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

um wow...i cant wait for Joeys response to this..Thats pretty much Uniques whole line!

4. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Wow, I wonder if there was a deal made? The prices online are just below list for Unique. If there isn't a deal with Unique and Sea Gull, oh boy! The heat be comin down! I think it would be a smart move for Unique to do something like this. Most "lighting" stores all carry the Sea Gull brand of lighting products. It would be a good way of getting into these places to move some product.

5. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Well, I haven't heard anything, but looking at the fixture names on those pages you would have to think a deal was made.

6. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

We have co-branded (maybe not the right term?) with Sea Gull. They were in need of a solid outdoor / landscape lighting product line and they sought us out to help them fill that void. They quickly fell in love with our products and our quality. They could have easily gone to China and done what so many other companies have done, take the easy way out and just copy our products. Instead they saw value in working directly with us being that we hold the patents, have a solid in house design and engineering staff, solid technical support, and a will to produce the best products on the market.

Sea Gull Lighting is an amazing company. Their staff is second to none and they really know how to make things happen. I can say we have benefited in working with them by just seeing how they do certain things. It is truly a team effort!

Just to make things clear and prevent any rumors right now-

NO - we are not in "partnership" when it comes to who owns Unique or Sea Gull. We are 2 very separate companies just working together.

NO - there is nothing more to this other than sharing these products.

NO - This was not an economic decision in terms of trying to boost our numbers because of a slow economy. Unique is still posting superb sales numbers, this was not necessary, it was simply a smart decision on both sides to work together and continue to grow both of our businesses and provide the industry and our customers with the best outdoor lighting products!

We welcome any questions!! We are proud to be working with Sea Gull Lighting!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  7. Pro-Scapes

Joey just curious. If they changed the name to meridian how come they didnt change the fixture names ?

If someone were to buy from a seagull rep now would they get it in a unique box ? If you click the links its a unique cut sheet. I understand what you guys have done and why but just seems strange how it was done and you didnt do a heads up release like you do when there is a new product.

8. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

Good questions Billy. We will put together a formal announcement that will better explian the partnership.

Sea Gull has chosen to keep the fixture names for simplicity. They are not trying to hide the fact that we are making the products for them. Co-Branding was not the right term for me to use, it is more of a private label if you will. Sea Gull will have their own packaging with the label of Unique Lightscaping "A Brand of Sea Gull Lighting" on all the labels and boxes. Meridian is the series of fixtures. They may add other series of products?

I am not sure what links you clicked but Sea Gull has their own cut sheets that have been developed. We are not marketing their line, only they are, that is why we have not made any formal announcements of this new partnership.

Again, we are pleased to work with Sea Gull and look forward to working closely with them to provide our own and their customers with a solid product line!

9. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

I think it's a smart move. Sea Gull is very popular in most lighting only stores and electrical wholesale outlets. Now I have a reason to network with some of these lighting stores and buy product from them with their referrals. It used to be you could only get some cheap junk from these stores. Bravo!

10. Pro-Scapes

I see where your coming from Tim but I also see it a bit differently. Opening up the unique line to the diy or non prof installer may be a good move on the numbers side of things but it isnt good for the dedicated pro. I know the diy crowd will still get thier hands on anything they want with the internet and every dist looking to make a buck but I always associated certain brands as a pro's only brand. When I design and build a lighting system for a client I expect myself to provide them something special in every facet of the project from the concept to the design and the materials. How will it make the product line look when untrained hacks are poppin it in?

Unique is a good quality brand and I have used it extensivly but if every joe has it and the market is flooded with it then will it lose its "uniqueness" ????

Im really kinda mixed on this. Sorry if I tick anyone off with this post but this looks like what other companies have done in the past.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009