The new Stihl BR 500 Backpack Blower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Tamers, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Turf Tamers

Turf Tamers LawnSite Member

I was at my dealer yesterday shopping for a new backpack blower. I'm a part-timer so spending up wards of $450.00 on a blower is a big deal for me. Anyway looking at the performance of the new 4 mix Stihl 500 "which is not even in the store yet", would I be better off with the Stihl or the much talked about RedMaxx 8000?

2. aries

aries LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Go Red max I bought a sthl last season and it is the worst no power compared to the Red max!

3. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

I have a RedMax 8000... one of the first. Awesome unit. Three weeks ago I had the change to demo the new Sthil. It is nice and lighter. But it does not have the push power of the RedMax.

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i threw my stihl off of a bridge

5. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

Nice to see you are alive Bobby.... I was worried that you had lost your shovel.

6. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Which stihl was that? I had a long talk with the stihl rep yesterday. I cant qoute the model numbers but I think its the 500, it is a low noise to comply with noise regulations in neighborhoods and is a low power blower. The 550 is suppose to compare to the 420 of today and the biggest blower is going to be a 800 or 850 or 880 I cant remember the number. It is suppose to be alot stronger than the 420's of today. Now that is from the stihl rep, take it for what its worth. They are suppose to be out in april or may. The rep said they want to be sure the bugs are worked out before they hit the market

7. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Who's leg was it attached to?

8. aries

aries LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

unless they were to give to me for free I wouldn't buy It I asked the guy when I bought this one how it compared to Red max he said it was similar as far as power well bull to that!!!!!! I think it was around $300.00 or so, it sits!

9. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

My 420 sits on the porch and is only used to blow the water off the vehicles after washing. Saw the specs on the new ones and they are not that much more impressive. Don't know about the Red Max but with the ECho the only down sides compared to the stihl is weight and fuel consumption

10. Legacy

Legacy LawnSite Member

4 Mix blowers now?? Why can't Stihl build 2 cycle equipment anymore? RedMax and Echo are doing it and doing it well. Lighter, more power, more fuel efficient etc...that's why we bought 2 cycle stuff in the first place!!

4 Mix is too complicated and way too many moving parts..Why not strap on a Kawasaki 4 stroke?

Get with it Stihl and build some high quality 2 cycle equipment again.....until you figure it out I'm using Echo and RedMax stuff!!