The new Super Z Any updates?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by HenryB, Feb 12, 2012.

1. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Mick,

If you can get that turbo baffle (red line in your last pic) go all the way to the 11 o'clock spindle housing bolt, you can then get maybe a longer spindle bolt. The threads would protrude further through the spindle housing and you could then BOLT the turbo baffle on.

This is how the turbo baffle on my SCAG 48" Walkbehind is attached.

The turbo baffle produces lift on that discharge side.

On my old Ultra-Cut Lazer, if I needed extra suction to lift lazy grass, I'd go over it with the discharge side and it would lift it up. Edges along driveways and sidewalks, the grass would grow over the pavement. If I mowed it with the trim side, it wouldn't suck it up off the pavement and cut it. If I ran down the other direction (blowing ONTO the pavement, it would always leave this edge cut better.

2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Hey, we're getting rain here almost every day too, only ours is frozen :laugh:
    I hope you get a chance to try it mate, or maybe your dealer can work with you to speed it up some.

I know you'll be busy, but cutting that grass after all the rain should make for some great video!

3. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

if i was you mick i would just go for it. i don't think doing so would make things any worse. it would seem it would only make things better. if things stayed the same then no big loss.

4. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Ridin' I will try and take some vid, if only cutting my place. Frozen rain, at least to you pizz your name into it! ha

Ive just sent off an email asking for permission to do the above, cutting it all out and making it all square. See how I go! If I can find some big square tube (I had some off cuts from my house posts, I kept them for like 2yrs but tossed them. bugger) I could cut it down and shape it all out of one piece, maybe. Might go hunting for some tomorrow.

This is what Im thinkin... (oops, the top ones supposed to be tube!_

new baffle.jpg

5. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

I would but it may void warranty. If the rear boxed section were to fall away of start splitting apart I'd be screwed. I need permission to do anything. Something in writing!

6. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

boxed in area should be fine. don't cut into it. just cut to the edge of it. the boxed in part will still be intact. it adds strength to that corner of the deck so you need to keep it in one piece.

you don't really even have to weld it in. you could just use the grinding wheel like you said and then bolt the piece in by drilling holes.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  7. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

make a tab like in your drawing. drill 2 holes through the box and bolt there to the piece you make and then drill 2 holes in the deck and bolt the piece you make there.

you could always remove the piece and just leave the bolts in there to fill the holes if you wanted later on.

see pic. black is the bolts and blue is tab on the piece you make.

you could use those round headed bolts. i forget what you call them. :laugh:

baffle%20off%20boxed%20section.jpg

grind%20all.jpg

Slotted_Round_Head_Stove_Bolts_with_Hex.jpg

8. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

if you wanna weld it that's ok too. :D

Untitled.jpg

9. greenology

greenology LawnSite Senior Member

No worries GMLC, its all good.

Puppy likes to carry on like a lawyer defending a guilty criminal. In other words, everyone else knows the problem is there, but he wants to defend Hustler to the Nth Degree.

Also I dont take many of his points to be valid, considering he is only a home operator?. Its a whole different kettle of fish to be mowing 1 property every time, from being out day in day out cutting grass in all different conditions with varied grass types, varied cutting schedules, varied terrain, varied times of the day.

Its like asking how to fix a clumping problem from the salesman that sold me the mower.

10. greenology

greenology LawnSite Senior Member

Not yet. Im hesitant to do at this point, Ive been down that track and boy it can get stressfull. Also the issue is right now Im flat chat with work, working 7 days a week trying to get on top of things. The dealer will want to look at the mower, stand back and scratch their heads looking at it for a day, so it means taking it up there which is a 2 hr trip to drop off and 2 hr to pick up, so lose half a days work. I just have no faith in the mechanics at the dealer I went to, I will probably go to another dealer if I cant work through the problem myself, the other dealer is same distance but the mechanic is better from what I can gather by talking over the phone to him.

Im wanting to have a go at making up a baffle like Mick has been describing, or attempt to copy the scag design as best I can. But takes a lot of time & time is a problem just at the moment.