1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

The new Super Z Any updates?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by HenryB, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Hi guys, hope you have, or still having a good Easter!

I put the deflector on and mowed my lawn over the weekend... http://youtu.be/FuOldbjlA00
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

They need to address this Mick!

For what it's worth, I was experiencing this clump line in much shorter length grass and cutting at 3.5". This vid show it well. But like you said...once it turns brown, it REALLY shows!

Still amazed at your hill there...My 28EFI Kohler XR-7 would have STALLED or cooked the hydros going up that hill! The big blocks, hyper drive, and open deck make it look effortless.

I like the "Thanks Honey" part!
  3. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Hey buddy, Happy Eater to you too!
    Yep, gotta love the "Thanks, Love you!" to the camera operator in the first segment and the Thank you after the back section down by the pond, which I assume is your wife or daughter.

At 6:32 or so, and again at 6:37 or so, you can see the cumps fly out, and after you pass there they are, lying on the surface. Still, it looks a little better with the chute on, and dowen, than without it I think.

Wow, I just finished watching the whole vid. It's still clumping way too much. I'm glad you got to post this up. I hope others will see it and respond to you about their experiences. This simply can't be just happening to you and Green.
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I think the chute is a band-aid though. It still clumps.

It's still a boo-boo and the band-aid it just covering it a little.

My XR-7 NEVER clumped like this. It HAS to be that boxed in rear section. I'd sawz-all that whole rear box section out and have someone weld in a 1/2" reinforcing bar like the XR-7 has around the rear skirt radius.
  5. Mickhippy

Just took this pic below, its only been a couple of days!
    Like I say, I love the machine itself! For the most part anyway!

The XR7 deck would not of had any problem with any of this.

Ridin, its not the clumps that fly out that are the problem, its what gets dropped before it hits the deflector. If I had a larger area to mow I could raised or taken the deflector off. I would of got same clumping and probably better clipping dispersal without the deflector.

There should be another vid up soon. http://youtu.be/OlAY-3s933w

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  6. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

If that last one was with the deflector, then it sure isn't helping.:dizzy:

That's just rediculous there, especially after a double cut.
  7. Mickhippy

Yep, with deflector! Granted the grass was a bit longer (cut at 3") but I get far better clipping dispersal without it. I get clumps either way so may as well keep the OCDC and try and figure out the deck.

Like Ive said all along, it has nothing, or very little to do with the deflector. The vid proves Im not talking out my azz!

Ive been waiting a month for the mod to try out. Im been patient, re my lack of updates but frankly, Im sick of waiting.
  8. mtmower

mtmower LawnSite Bronze Member

What a PITA! I complain because my XR7 blankets the grass so badly with clippings and then I have to spend way too much time blowing them around with my backpack blower to make it look good. At least I don't have the clumping. Do your clients complain about the blanketing of clippings ever?
  9. Mickhippy

Majority of my customers have smaller yards so I double cut or feather the clippings.
    I do however get the occasional complaint from the larger ones where double cutting isnt an option. I might spend extra time cleaning up certain high vis sections of yards. Thats all extra cost on me let alone the extra time.

I was quoting a high school but pulled out because of the discharge. No way would the discharge be good enough. It was a school that is right into sports, high use on the ovals. Can imagine playing soccer or hockey and a ball hitting a clump or windrow. Just wouldnt work!
  10. greenology

greenology LawnSite Senior Member

This is such a shame! its effecting you in a big way and has been for so long now. Yet no support from hustler.

useless company...