1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

The Next Step?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by jhawk71, Sep 9, 2007.

1. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

Let me start off by explaining my situation. I am currently mowing 52 properties a week. I am still in high school so time is limited. I turn 18 in October and will become licensed in my own name and get full insurance. With school I am pretty much maxed out with the amount of lawns I can handle. This spring I am looking to expand and hope to pick up another 10 accounts. I think this is reasonable and can be achieved in the area I am mowing.

If I were to pick up more accounts I feel that in the spring with spring growth and rain I will be short on time. Because of this I have considered hiring an employee to help me for the 2008 season. After reading how hard it it to find a good working employee, I am hesitant to try. Not to mention the fact that I'm only 18 and most people won't want to work for a 18 year old who is still in high school.

While I am trying to grow as a business, should I wait till later to mess with employees or try it now. If I don't hire someone I will not be able to take on any more work in the spring, but with an employee I would. Keep in mind I am planning to continue the business while I attend college.

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

We can't judge your business abbilities. The cost of doing business increases greatly when hiring an employee of any kind. You need to decide if your ready for the next step, insurance, equipment, CPA, taxes.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

With all due respect...why the hell are you worked up over this??? You probably gross $1,500 a week, live at home with no bills...you want to switch places with me? :laugh:
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

This isn't something I would normally recommend but in your case I think a good friend might work out as a helper.
    Now if it doesn't then you have to be ready to accept that and try not to let the business aspect interfere with the friendship, but I think it's worth a shot.
  5. gavin478

gavin478 LawnSite Member

"Good friends make bad employees" As convenient as it may be, make sure it's not a friend you're afraid to lose. An employee will never care about the job as much as you since he's only there to collect a check at the end of the week. I already lost a friend who was my business partner
  6. Mr Priceless

Mr Priceless LawnSite Senior Member

i suggest you stay within your boundries as far as the amount of work you can handle.

Even if you finish HS, you go "ok, me and my helper can get all 25 of these yards completed today" but he doesn't show, and your're booked over your head for the rest of the yards in the rest of the week to come.

That could very well be a growing pain you experience in your early years expanding this business, and you won't be prepared for it.
  7. weeble67

weeble67 LawnSite Senior Member

I have to agree that you should focus more on what you can handle. Not expanding your business. Go to college, work on the lawns and stop worrying. Your days of worry will be here soon enough.
  8. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

Have you considered taking a few buisness related classes at a small community tech school? At 18, this would be the time to consider that. If you can't stay at home after 18, grab a roommate to keep expenses down and take an evening class or two. You don't have to get a degree. Some community colleges offer seminars and extension services for small buisness owners. Getting all the info in the beginning would be far better than trial and error. Then, you could consider growing and expansion.

That's just my two-cents.