The numbers are in- Fuel costs totals for 2005!

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Jason Rose, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think this is really "off topic" but I'll stick it here anyway...

Ok, I'm solo full time (as most know)
    Finally adding things up getting prepared top see the tax lady! My total fuel cost this past year was certianly bugging me as to what it was going to be... Finally got 'er added up. Choke, gasp, I'd rather have NOT known frankly...

$6,356.00 Total for the year in fuel (all)

Broken down, that's $5,206 for the business and work truck and $1,150 for personal use only.

I did certinaly note a spike in expendatures september/october, hummm, prices were $3+++ a gallon then!

As I would assume most of use are adding things up right now, what kinds of figures did the rest of you have??!!

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Nah, let's not keep this in off topic.. let's move this to green industry discussions... definitely related to the industry.
    That's what I've been working on too, getting everything ready for the accountant, don't have all the final figures done though.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

$24,532...and that was with a drought.

4. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow RF thats a chunk of change. Small taters here compared to that, I checked expense totals just last week, I came in just at $2k, but thats for equipment only. I track mileage for vehicles, 18400.3 miles logged on both vehicles or $7452.12 mileage expense for 2005.

5. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

Cost of fuel was a heck of a lot more than the previous year for sure. :eek:

A little advice, not knocking you by any means. You may want to "add things up" throughout the year, instead of when it's over. That way you can see where you are on your budgeted expenses. The numbers will let you know where you stand at any given time and give you the information needed to make changes when necessary/ possible. It's possible some things in your budget can be tweaked to off-set those that you have little control over.

6. Green-Pro

Last year was our first year so we had no previous data to run comparison on. Thanks for the advice though that is what I did last week after totaling last years numbers, I created a "budget on the fly" so to speak in order to look at each months #'s side by side, exactly for the purpose of trying to adjust costs down if possible.

7. kppurn

kppurn LawnSite Senior Member

I was just throwing that out there, not directed solely at you green-pro.

You pretty much described the way I went about things. Going into the first year it was a total guess. After that I had some actual numbers to work with.

I'm always learning and looking for ways to operate better. I just didn't want to see anyone wait until the end of the year to find out how healthy or unhealthy things were.

Have a great weekend!

8. Green-Pro

I didn't mean to imply that you were :waving: I just thought it was an excellent piece of advice, thought I'd just toss in my .02 as a new owner how valuable a tool this practice is. I find myself looking forward to this season with even more passion than last (yep it is possible), now that I'm armed with hard data related to my expenses.

You have a great weekend to kppurn!

9. joeE

joeE LawnSite Senior Member

Tater totts too.

one truck in 04......13,468 mi @ $1,720.

Same truck in 05.......11,776mi @ $2,235.

Havent done the math yet. Not sure I want to know.

10. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine looks to be around $16,000. Haven't finished all my calculations for everything yet though.