1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

The Official "It's a Lesco Spreader, stupid" thread.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Sportsturf, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Sportsturf

Sportsturf LawnSite Member

Just so we dont have to see two threads a day about what spreader to buy for the next six months.

I know some of you like the Earthways, and the Scott or whatever, but lets face it. The home lawn industry was built by the lesco spreader.

For a reason.

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

hello david.
  3. Sportsturf

Sportsturf LawnSite Member

4. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

When Teeca said he didn't know what you were talking about when you claimed that Lesco spreaders were the industry standard and that you didn't either, you took offense. You came back at him with a statement that he would be more gentlemanly if you were in his grill. He followed that first statement up, by recommending that you do some research before making a comment like that. He couldn't have been more correct.

How can you evaluate which spreader you like the most, or is the best, when you have no experience with the Anderson SR2000? If you've never used (or better yet, OWNED) an SR2000 spreader, you DIDN'T KNOW what you were talking about. I'm not trying to be mean to you Dave and yes before you ask me, I'd definitely tell you the same thing if you were in my grill.

If you actually were doing applications when Teeca was in diapers, then why don't you share at least some of your knowledge with the members of this forum? You have to admit that sharing your knowledge would be much more constructive than creating a meaningless thread like this one.

While there aren't as many knowledgeable applicators in this forum as there used to be, there are still quite a few that come on here. It would be great if you could join in with them and start sharing what you've learned over all of these years. We could always use one more.

5. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

The Lesco spreader is popular because Scott's did 25 years ago what Lesco is doing now....NOTHING.

Had Scott's improved their spreader back in the early '80's when Fitz improved on their original design Lakeshore might never have become what Lesco is today.

No matter. Today the best walk behind push spreader is the Andersons SR 2000. I've done the collection test on all of them & facts are facts.
  6. Decali

Decali LawnSite Member

Very revealing statement knowing your background.

When you say the Andersons is the best do you mean in terms of durability as well as well as spread pattern? Are they as solid as the Lescos? Where can you get them?

I have a couple of Lescos and as you know, they're built like tanks. On one hand that's a good thing but when I'm lugging it around and lifting it in and out of the truck it's a bad thing.
  7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I was at the Michigan Turf Expo today and they had a Lesco and a SR2000 spreaders on display for sale as a silent auction. I see SR2000 has abondoned ball bearings and uses plastic bushings--how do they work? Need to be replaced? How often greased? Both were good--but--I lift my spreader in and out of pickup each stop. Both spreaders weighed about 50 pounds! If hopper is half full--forget it. Doesn't anybody make one that is a little lighter? What does a Spyker weigh?
  8. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

spyker is about 75# ! (depending on model). i've put millions, i mean millions of Sqft on my sr2000, wash it off everyday after work with a hose, and lube the axles, gearbox, shaft, and lube the deflector cable weekly and have yet to have a repair. although the bungi cord in the hopper cover streatched and wouldn't stay on, so i sowed a new one in, works fine. as far as being built, i'd say like a tank. as far as lifting it in and out of the truck 1/2 full, i know the size of the property and put enough fert for the property, so my spreader is just about empty when i lift it in and out.
  9. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't find an sr2000 for sale anywhere... can't even find a pic of one.. I've seen enough great reviews on them, that I want one.. but where is it?
  10. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

Toll Free: 877.433.7037 <<< Call Advanced Turf Solutions (out of Indianapolis) at that number Ray and tell them where you're located. They'll be able to guide you to your nearest dealer. http://www.agsupply.com << here's a place that you can mail order them from, but ATS will almost definitely be able to find a local dealer for you.