The old question - What ZTR to buy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fairwayCuts, Jan 21, 2005.

?

Which ZTR

1. JD 737

5 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. Toro Z450 Pro performance 23hp 52"

16 vote(s)
    27.6%
  3. Gravely PM 152Z

5 vote(s)
    8.6%
  4. Cub Cadet M54

2 vote(s)
    3.4%
  5. Other

30 vote(s)
    51.7%
  1. fairwayCuts

fairwayCuts LawnSite Member

Well I know this has been asked a thousand times, but here it goes again. What ZTR do you guys think I should buy? I'll give you a little background. Started up last year and gained 15 accts. A few of those are much too large for what I've got now(JD GS-30), but they're good money accts. If I don't get a ztr I think I'm going to have to drop at least one of them($300 every 2 weeks). I also plan on adding somewhere between 10-20 cust this year.

I've been looking at JD737 54", Toro Z450 Pro performance 52" / 23hp, Gravely PM 152z 23hp, Cub Cadet M54.

The good thing about the JD is that I get a 10% discount through my grandpa because he retired from a local dealer.

I have demoed the JD and was happy with it. I've also demoed an exmark, but from what I could tell, they seem to be a bit more expensive? I have not had the chance to demo any of the other ZTR's yet.

Anyway, love to hear your input as far as mechanically, quality, ease of use and price.

Thanks

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

From what you have listed, the Toro has the new deck that reviews are extremely good on.

The other ones I would look at were the eXmark and Hustler mowers.

3. wissel_landscaping

wissel_landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

I just bought a JD777 i have not used it yet nor did i demo it before buying so i cant comment on the JD, i also have a cub cadet M54 (honda engine) and love it i have not had one single problem yet and i think the m54 is one of the cheapest riders. i was gonna buy another cub cadet but there interest rate was like 18.9% and JD was like 8.9% i was getting a better deal from JD so i went with them.

4. Mr. C

Mr. C LawnSite Member
    from Miami

Have you looked at Dixie Chopper? I think this question may also depend on the area you are in. If you live in an area where you 3 dealers that service Toro and only one that services Scag, that probably would put Toro higher up on my list. I would consider the following also:

1. Who has the best warranty
    2. Which which machine would have the best turn around time if it broke down.

The best machine in the world is useless if it's parked because you have to wait two weeks for a part.

5. fairwayCuts

fairwayCuts LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input guys! As far as dealer support, I'm not aware of a Dixie chopper dealer in the are. Exmark has a dealer, but there about 30min from where I am.

For all you who have been voting other, what others might you suggest.

6. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a Toro, you won't be sorry!

7. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

get a ferris independent suspension model the new 500z or 3000z

8. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I would suggest getting a Hustler, but if I could only pick from your list I would get the Toro. I would not go with the JD since they are overpriced to start, along with the fact that they not as good as some of the top end Zs.

9. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the 737 and like it. But have you checked out the LESCO ZTWO? If you havent,please do. its the same as the cub TANK. My Lesco has a 54 inch for 6000

10. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

If you go demo a Hustler you won't buy anyhting else. They are that good!!! Just my humble little opinion.