The oldest Richdel valve?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Wet_Boots, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

What's the oldest Richdel valve you've seen/used/serviced? The one-time industry standard R204 (now the Irritrol 205) was not their first.

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Personally? I replaced a few white jar tops last year.

I don't know their age, but they were the oldest looking ones I've seen.

3. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Did Hardie make the Hydro-flo in a Richdel version? I'm thinking they did, but I can't remember and haven't seen a hydro-flo in a very long time. The white 2400's might be the oldest Richdel versions of the 2400s. I don't believe the hydro-rain's were ever made for Richdel. They were molded for Rainbird as well as the Hardie line, and I buy RB diaphrams for them even today. When the antiques get that old, my experience is more brass and golf. Spill it boot's, you wouldn't have asked if you didn't alread know :)

4. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure how old, but I remember servicing some old green LR Nelson valves over 25 yrs ago that had been in the ground for quite a while. They were made for Nelson by Richdel. The 216 and 217 diaphragms and R811 solenoids still fit those valves. And there are a bunch of them working.

And Boots probably has a case of those valves sitting next to the Saf-T-Lawn ball drive heads too - just waiting for the right yard.

5. The oldest I remember installing was also the Green Nelson Valves with the metal solenoids. I still service the system after 20+ years. A few of the valves still have the original diaphragms and solenoids. The systems also still has a few of the green Rain Bird 1800 Popup spray heads and a handfull of Toro super 600's.

6. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

this is borderline off topic, but we are discussing antiques here...........
    I serviced a yard today with the old plastic RB valves with the "flipper" bleeder on top and solenoid coil on post. I don't remeber the model, but I hadn't seen a removable coil in a long time and every valve in the yard is still orginal. I removed the post and installed an RB/hardie universal without the white keeper and everything is working wonderfully again.
    How many out there remember changing coils instead of the "modern" solenoid? Swap out a bad coil and never spill any water. I do miss a lot of things about some of those antiques. Their "short" life span would be one.

7. Wet_Boots

Before the R204, there was an R203 (natch!) - the black plastic is not PVC, but something more like Delrin (funny pipe elbow plastic) - the threads are one inch MPT
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    The bottom shows the eight-screw cover pattern like the R204 used, but symmetrical, because there is no thread-in solenoid.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    So, how did it work without a traditional solenoid? The answer is under the shiny cover.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    The 24 volts energizes what looks like a standard relay coil of the era, and the coil moves a metal lever that contacts a stainless steel rod, one end of which is in the center of the brass circle, and the other end of which goes through the body (and flow outlet) of the valve, to open the passageway on the diaphragm, to allow the valve to open and close in the usual diaphragm-valve fashion. The round-head screw in the lever was for fine-tuning (see the words 'pilot adjustment' on the cover) the operation of the lever-rod action, and it's that screw that contacts the rod. That little Cadillac-bumper-shaped dome is where the rod ends near the diaphragm, which is not, by the way, built on the exact lines of the R204's
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Now all we need, are specimens of a R202 and R201. The search continues.

8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

How did you find one in such good condition? : )

9. Wet_Boots

Not from service. There were some Richdel valves that also had male plastic threads, and were constructed in a Y-pattern. Standard solenoids on those. The only ones I saw in service had inch-and-a-quarter MPT threads. Probably the same sort of plastic as this one. It wasn't until they spent the additional money to mold PVC valve parts, that they achieved their success.