The one thing I hate about this business

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TennisBum, Jun 24, 2010.

1. TennisBum

TennisBum LawnSite Member

It's only June and already dry as a desert. Found 2 yards to cut Today. It's 99 degrees. No significant rainfall in over a month. None in the forecast. Very depressing. Thank God for the weedy lawns. Time to push other services.

2. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

hell it rains here everyday it seems like. it did for a while anyway.

3. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hot & dry here too. The only good thing about a dry spell...it may reduce the competition for next year. Although with 10% + unemployment we may not notice.

4. tmetz

tmetz LawnSite Member

I'll send some of our rain up your way, at least we can plan around our rain. Everyday the rains come off the everglades between 3 - 4 PM and usually last till 5 or 6 PM.

I just try and get the lawns done early and be done by 2 or 3 :)

5. CTmower

CTmower LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

I had my first customer of the year ask to switch to Bi weekly cutting. I said no problem but the cost will go from $40 to $60. The lawn will take me twice as long every other week so we'll see how long she lasts on bi weekly.

6. meicher806

meicher806 LawnSite Senior Member

No crap, sounds like we have today and tomorrow with out rain. then 2 more days of rain again... I hope this pulls into winter so we can get some good plowing in...

7. YardFarmersLLC

YardFarmersLLC LawnSite Member

It is hot and dry in Kentucky too! We did get a thunder storm today, but it dries up in no time.

8. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

2 weeks of 95+ degree dry weather can make warm season grasses go dormant and kill fescue. Really frustrating that good rains can be negated by a heat wave. Happens every year in SC. We have had mid 90s + since early May. 93 right now.

9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Tell me about it. 550 pounds of Lesco TriGold tall fescue burned up. I also think this has a lot to do with my difficulty in obtaining new customers. I only got 2 calls from 800 flyers. Why pay someone to cut the grass if it's not going to grow?

10. Hell on Blades

Hell on Blades LawnSite Senior Member

Plenty of rain here last week -- Northern Kentucky -- Had to double cut all my yards this week.