the "other guy"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Aug 28, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

we have all heard his name, in fact, we replace him all the time. he is known to us all simply as , "the other guy." in the past week, i've had two customers come crawling back. they both cancelled me 2-3 yrs ago, reliability was the issue. but it seems, the "other guy", in spite of being very reliable, could not fill my shoes. one case: he was not licensed to do chemicals, and he was smart enough not to do them anyway. he WAS very reliable as far as grass cutting, did a nice job, but never had time to do extras(trimming, etc), they begged me back so thier property could be presentable once again. . 2nd case: first "other guy" charged alot of money to sod a section of the yard damaged by city snow plows, and never came back when EVERY SINGLE PIECE of sod died. 2nd "other guy": sold client a 3 step fert program, consisting of 3 apps of straight fert, on a 3.6 k prop, for $175. client called him in mid july, complaining lawn had "brown spots", his cure= a heavy dose of nitrogen in 90+ degree heat and heavy humidity. we all know the result of that, the only thing that survived was the weeds and nutsedge. so, what are YOUR prospective clients biggest complaints about "the other guy"?

2. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

half the time... He doesnt exist. It is a scheme simply devised to drag our prices through the mud.

Trevor

3. bobbygedd

from NJ

you think trevor? so then your answer would be that "the other guy" was cheaper? are you suggesting that our perspective clients are liars? ha ha, nawww, can't be

4. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

9 times out of 10 the other guy wasnt able to remove his grass clippings from their mulch bed. Or wasnt able to not divot while on the ZTR

Trevor

5. Mark Lawncare

Mark Lawncare LawnSite Member

Many times the other guy got sick the costumer's absurd requests. Watch out for SOME customers who got ride of the other guy.

6. Ray&Christine

Ray&Christine LawnSite Member

The "other guy" does not have time to do his lawn for the next few months because he is in jail for drunk driving.

7. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

This is a good point. I have a customer that has gotten rid of the last five "other guys" - she's my biggest problem customer. I just sent her a two page letter that said, in essence, if she's so unhappy she can leave at any time. She couldn't be any nicer ever since but is still a royal PITA.

8. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I often find that if the "other guy" just "stopped showing up", its usually not a reliability issue. Its a PITA customer issue.

Other "other guy" reasons on the Top Ten List-

1) "Moved Away"
    2) "I think he got sick or something"
    3) "Went back to his full-time job"
    4) "Equipment problems" (for an entire month?)
    5) "He's got school starting again"

I'll let you guys fill in 6-10.

9. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

I've said it before - my best clients are the ones that pay the most, my worst clients are the ones that pay the least.

10. bobbygedd

from NJ

dkeisala, that is SOOO UNPROFESSIONAL!. telling your customer , "she can leave at anytime...", this gives us all a bad name. a REAL businessman can satisfy even the toughest client. sean make sure the new guys don't see this, cus it's a poor way to do business. sorry, i call it like i see it