The pains of a Growing business!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by T.E., Apr 30, 2005.

1. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

Well yestereday my employee (a Mexican) called in sick, a no show today, and just a little while ago called to say he was quitting. Why, I ask? To much hard work, (we work 11.5 hours on Thursday and Friday), then in the next breath says I'm shorting him hours. I ask how this was? He said when I write down the time at each lawn, start and stop he thought I wasn't paying for the ride in between lawns :dizzy: Tried to explain to him that wasn't what was going on but he didn't care to listen. I also gave this guy off with pay the day my grand daughter was born. Tuesday we came in early I told him he could do things around the shop so he could have more hours didn't want to. So its not all white boys that don't want to work hard. Offered one weeks vacation after nine months of employment. $100.00 cash show up bonus every 90 days. Maybe I'm paying to little started him at 10.00 and hour and he couldn't trim for crap. Oh well sorry for the rant. On to the next one. Later, Tony

2. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think you were paying him VERY well. Hell when I need a helper I pay em 10 and dont give them all the other goodies you give. I hope you find a better helper. Good Luck. Chris

3. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I'm convinced that finding and keeping good employees in this business is the #1 problem in growing our businesses. I turn away more and more work because I cant find competent employees that will show up every day. The 2 I have now, do great work....that is when they show up. And I pay them way above the national averages plus they can earn production bonuses.

But lets face it, the landscape work most of us do, is dirty, tiring, hot, and subject to reduced paychecks due to bad weather. Its little wonder many of us have to hire fruit-loops for employees. Just ask yourself would like to do this work for $10 an hour and with no "future" ? I know for sure I wouldn't.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Fruit loops Gary? Man, I haven't heard that one in a long time...lol

5. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Yep Rod at your age I am sure you remember the Fruit-Loop cereal commericals when you were watching Deputy Dog cartoons on Sat mornings... now there was a good cartoon....lets see how many other geezers out there remember Deputy Dog...and his sidekick Vince VanGopher....( its clear Rod that I have been sniffing 2 cycle fumes way too long)

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Remember? Hell yes...and Underdog was one of my favorites too.

7. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

But lets face it, the landscape work most of us do, is dirty, tiring, hot, and subject to reduced paychecks due to bad weather. Its little wonder many of us have to hire fruit-loops for employees. Just ask yourself would like to do this work for $10 an hour and with no "future" ? I know for sure I wouldn't.[/QUOTE]

Oh I agree with you! I wouldn't do this type of work for ten bucks an hour,however I think one needs to be skilled to some extent also.
    I only mentioned a few things that he can't do very well,can't hardly get the equipment started, can't drive to the job (gets lost,thinks he's in one town we're in another) so the guy could ONLY be a helper. I even told him I would keep him around all winter, and make sure he had money coming in the off months! So I think I tried. Later,Tony

8. DND Outdoor

DND Outdoor LawnSite Member

Maybe I missed a previous post but what does it matter if worker is Mexican or not. Isn't an unreliable worker and unreliable worker, period regardless if brown black or white?????. Maybe I will sell my equip and come work for you. I could use a paid vacation and I'm reliable, very reliable. SOmetimes I think it would be better than trying to make it as business. I hear your pain of too much overhead and too little profit. I sometimes think I am paying to be in this business, ah the things we do for bigger toys.............

9. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like you take care of the people that work for you.[ I'd work for you if I was Able]...They never seem to get it though?...I think with all the crap in the news today "Enron", "Martha Stewart","Base ball Saleries", the common man [ lackin a college education] thinks we're all makein millions, not payin taxs, ect, ect ,ect,......I'm disabled from several things right now,[ 1st bein hit from a car while edgeing-7yrs ago], gone through divorce 2 yrs ago[ gave away the original biz, lock, stock & barrel]...Now I'm a 1 man show, pre-mo accounts, make more with a back-pk sprayer & spreader than most of you with 5 or 6 guys, [ just tryin to give you some back round]...I'm stuck payin close to $25 an hour, for PT, guys that already have fT jobs....I'm glad to just add 1 newclient a year.....I guess its the "Luv of the Biz" that keeps us goin......So keep up the "Good Work" & remember life isnt so bad........ :)

10. soonernation

soonernation LawnSite Member
    from Okc OK

I had to fire my helper (a family member at that) last week because he was about as dependable as the Oklahoma weather. It seems like the better I treat my employees, the less work I get out of them. Then I look across the street at the "big" company that I hear treats them like dogs, and they have new recruits coming in every day and getting turned away. I just need another good employee and haven't been able to get my hands one for 10 days. Oh well, good thing I love what I do.