The Peoples Court

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnman_scott, Mar 23, 2007.

1. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I filed a small claims suit against someone for a check that was returned, then re-deposited and the account was closed. I got something from the peoples court asking them if I would like the case to be heard there. You get paid $250 even if you lose, and if you win they gaurantee your money that day. So I guess the loser with the bad check gets something too.

I dont know if they go through lawsuit filings, or if she contacted them, but what a way to have your moment of fame.

2. PearceLawn

PearceLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I would do it, and when you win, it would send a message to all of the deadbeats we have to deal with year in and year out.

It is wrong to stick it to you lawn guy!!:hammerhead:

3. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

If he agrees, I would go on TV. I don't know how that would reflect on your business though. Just something to think about???

4. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

not quite sure how it would reflect poorly on your customers trying to get paid what your owed. id go for it!

5. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Heck Yes I'd go for it.
    Appear in a new collared polo shirt with your company name all over it, have a few of your employees in the court room dressed the same and shamelessly plug, plug, plug the business every chance you get.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Unless the check was in the thousands, I'd likely go for it in a new york minute.
    I would consider my business in the equation, unfortunately I don't know what kind of effect this could have, might be good, or not.

The only question being, who pays for the travel and all that, I guess it's a bit of a loss leader, still I'd be pretty tempted because either way it's going to cost time, regardless. idk, flip a coin? If it wasn't for the name of my business, still I'd think you'd be ok seeing the circumstances (bounced, then closed acc't) it ought to be obvious to most tv viewers.

7. ncls

ncls LawnSite Senior Member

I got one of those letters from Judge Larry Joe. Framed it and hung it in the office.. The customer declined to appear. Won a default judgement in small claims court. Now have a lien on their property. I figure I'll be buried and my kids will collect the money.....:rolleyes:

8. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Be sure to include your monthly interest fee/rate when filing. Then you should get your billed amount plus the finance and court charges. The way property is being sold, flipped or foreclosed these days you could get your money quicker than you think. The lien shows as a cloud on the property title and the property can't be sold until liens are satisfied. Usually the title company will pay and then deduct from the sellers proceeds.

At least that's the way it's done here.

9. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

do it if you win you get your money and $250 cant beat that

10. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

why would you not what does it say about your business it says I did the work you owe me x amount of money pay up that is that. I am sorry but I hate ppl who don't pay their bills I spend 90% of my day thinking about money bills retirement and the rest of that stuff. I have done some pretty creative things when it comes time to collect. We bill they get 30 days then two more pass due notices and 3 calls by now this is wasting my time and I hate that crap.