1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

The Perfect Grapple

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by AWJ Services, Jun 24, 2007.

1. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Just looking on everyones thoughts on how too make the "Perfect Grapple" or who already makes the "Perfect Grapple".

I have used several different designs and they all seem too be lacking in one way are another.
    I plan on making my own.
    I have someone local too laser cut the metal and I have all the other equipment too finish it.
  2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Are you looking for a grapple bucket or a root grapple?
  3. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

AWJ.....grapple for a track hoe? Electric over hydraulic? I have looked at these bad boys for over two years now, pretty extensively. The best one for my particular situation on a hoe my size is hands down gater grapples made in BC. Their web site: www.gatergrapples.com. The unit I like is rated for 8-14 ton machines and cost about $16,950 plus $700 freight to USA.........hence, my thumb and bucket combo are just dandy......
  4. RockSet N' Grade

AWJ......Dymax also makes a grapple. Their web: www.dymaxattachments.com. I have decided I would rather put my money into a progressive link hydraulic thumb vs. a grapple........works better for my job applications.
  5. AWJ Services

from Ga

I am sorry.
    For a skid steer.

I am looking for the most versatile grapple.

Maybe a root grapple with a removable bottom too turn it into a Grapple Bucket as well.

Also maybe one with a cutting edge or replaceable teeth so you can use it too rake the smaller stuff out of the dirt and break roots out of the ground.

The hoses tend too always be in the way.
    What is a better way too route them.

Maybe some solenoid at the cylinders so that once you clamp the debris you can switch them on too lock the cylinders.
  6. RockSet N' Grade

Well, ok then........what applications do you vision doing most with the grapple bucket and that will help with the best possibilities....
  7. AWJ Services

from Ga

One issue I have is when I am clearing out overgrown areas too turn into lawns it is very hard too separate the debris and leave the topsoil behind.

I have actually bent grapples using them too pop out a stump.

The teeth on the front are non replaceable.

Some have the teeth curled up and some have them flat?

Do you think the capacity of most grapples is adequate?

Alot of people buy rock buckets too get the construction debris out of the dirt.

What if you could turn off one cylinder and only use one side of the bucket too help grab large rocks for placement?

Maybe a removable bottom so that when moving the debris across drives and lawns you will spill less.

Maybe a tooth bar too go on the Cylinder fingers so that when you need too pull vines out of trees it will help?

Make it easily transform into a scarificer.

One tool too fill numerous needs.
  8. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the grapple I got for my Asv Rc30 made by Loflin MFG in Denton, NC. Give them a call, they'll make you one!:waving: :waving:
  9. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

I am using a Bobcat root grapple right now, on loan from the dealer. The tines are spaced about 8" apart; it's a good grapple overall for roots, stumps, scarifying, and grabbing big rocks, but if I buy it, I think I will have my neighbor weld some extra steel bars between the existing tines, so it will carry busted bricks and other smaller debris... it rakes out brush ok but when I carry smaller rocks and debris a lot falls through.

Good overall attachment and I think it is priced around $3000+ new. I may buy this one from their rental fleet this fall when they get ready to sell it, for maybe $2500.

Then again, if I had the money, I bet I would get better results to use the grapple like it is and get a rake or rock hound to clean up smaller stuff.
  10. janb

janb LawnSite Senior Member

I added extra teeth on my Bobcat 'industrial" grapple. Now on 4" spacing with 1.875" square bars for teeth ~ 24" long (I've never bent them...) two cyl 'top-side' with 2 grapple hooks each (84" total width). works well set-up this way, but will 'gouge' scooping forward if soil is hard.