The PERFECT lawn tech INCENTIVE/BONUS system?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by perfpitt, May 16, 2005.

1. perfpitt

perfpitt LawnSite Member

I'm -sure- it exists ( <- sarcasm), so could someone please give me suggestions for an incentive/bonus system that encourages a lawn tech to bust his ass all day and do as many lawns as possible, yet still do a good job?

All kidding aside, we're curious what other companies do to encourage both quantity and quality when it comes to pesticide/fertilizer apps.

I don't need the actual $$ figures (unless you're willing to give that up) but just an idea, perhaps with percentages or whatever.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Pete Frank
    Pittsburgh, PA

2. Impressions

Impressions LawnSite Member

I worked for a company that paid us 22% commission on total production for the day. It worked great for guys who work hard and are honest. But there were people that ghosted jobs or quality wasn't up to par. I always thought they should have reduced percentages for legit complaints or problems where the quality techs would benefit from increases or bonuses.

3. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I have always thought that the only way to ensure that employees care as much as the owner, is to offer ownership options on the company. Say you do 1 million a year. You may employ 4-5 applicators, maybe less? Set aside 20% of your stock for employee owners. They each earn this over the course of a certain number of years. They take pride in what they own, you make more money because they produce more high quality work, your company grows bigger. When you are ready to retire the group of employee owners can approach a bank to buy your company and set you off into your golden years with cash and a legacy.

Or you could pay them bonuses or commission, based on performance and some complex formula of revenue sharing. I have found that most intelligent people see through this gimmick and try to cheat at the system. Good luck if you decide to go this way. :p

4. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Mega Lawn Co is paying differently at 2 local branches here. At one...a guy makes $15 an hour and has a chance at a monthly bonus depending on his cancels. When the fella from there was trying to trick me into working for them (I was making $850 a week before they bought it out) he said I could make an extra $300 or $400 a month.

"Uh...that's okay hoss."

Now at branch #2, a guy makes $600 a week plus 10% of whatever he does over his carrot on a stick quota. He also is eligible for a retention bonus.

When it rains, they force the hourly guys out the door. The salary guys are told to wait out the rain...then get back to work.

I had an appreciation for the salary employer. I knew what I would get every week. He always seemed to care about you and yours. Kids sick? No problem. He wanted your head clear so you could go to battle everyday for him. He'd buy you stuff out of the blue for no reason. He took us fishing once a year....on a weekday! He'd have get togethers at his house for the families.

He'd also post up your production on a board for all to see. That was good for motivation as you surely didn't want to be last on that board.

Anyway, I always felt like I had let him down when I would screw up. The guilt factor worked on me.

Glad you are here Pete. I need someone to razz when the Steelers get their arses kicked on Sept 18th...

Thanks

5. southernsprayguy

southernsprayguy LawnSite Member

Pay your employees a base salary plus commision on the total of any new sale(s) they make including aerification, grub treatments, and flea and tick, ect. You could give commision when they excede thier total production numbers for the month or you could set up a bonus system every 3-4 months if they excede the total productions numbers for those months. There are a lot of ways you could do it to give your techs more incentive to work harder.

6. Garden Panzer

Garden Panzer Banned
    from Seattle

Just tell them they will fight or die, no retreat.

:waving: