The Perfect Lawn

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Smallaxe, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I was just thinking about the idea, that what we are all working toward, is the perfect lawn... the things that we do should have the long term benefits of what the perfect lawn should be...

I imagine the the perfect lawn would soak up the water quickly and easily, allowing it to reach the depths of the root zone without creating anaerobic conditions in the process... soon after the drenching the crowns and blades dry easily yet maintain a healthy turgor... a little bit of N keeps a great color and there is no worry about weeds finding its way into the turf...

What other characteristics would we expect to find in The Perfect Lawn???

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

It should be mature.

Although I still really have no idea what that means, but it sounds really cool.

3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

There's no motive to build a healthy stand of self-sufficient independant turf, becuz the money is in the unhealthy dependant turf...

We claim to follow scientific understanding of botanical principles, yet when the extension offices recommend holding off N apps until late Spring,,, the lawnboys are out dumping NPK w/pre-M even before the first mowing...

Lawnboys need money, not an understanding of horticultural principles as defined by horticultural researchers... so I'm assuming that lawnboys do not understand what I'm saying most of the time for that reason... instead they jump on the bandwagon with snide remarks that detract from intelligent conversation, because it is outside their ability to understand... they alway win and its started already so this thread is over, as far as I'm concerned...

4. kennc38

kennc38 LawnSite Senior Member

And the condescending saga continues...

5. Mark Oomkes

Oh, now I see it clearly.

Funny thing is, you really have no idea how many of us operate or who we are or how we manage turf. And it is obvious from your superior attitude that you don't want to, either. You have everyone else figured out without knowing a thing about them. Nice.

Then again, with that superior attitude, you spew bovine excrement that makes as little sense as what you are accusing others of doing without knowing how they operate.

So do tell, (even though you're done with this thread which is a recurring theme when you get called on your bovine excrement) how do I treat lawns incorrectly? How am I creating unhealthy turf? Please scour my posts and explain to me how I am one of those lawnboys.

6. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Pay no attention to your naysayers, but please tell us how you build a stand of self-sufficient independent turf.

7. Mark Oomkes

I already answered, a hayfield, or prairie. :waving:

8. Grasssales2001

Grasssales2001 LawnSite Member

First, define what healthy turf is. What does it look like? How much does it grow?

Can an acceptable turf be grown with little to no inputs that will meet customer expectations? What are your customers expectations?

My home lawn is centipede. It hasn't't been fertilized in 6 years. No irrigation. It would not be considered a perfect lawn by a lot of people,but it is acceptable to me. My neighbor mows,waters,fertilizes continuously. When my lawn receives sufficient water, it looks as good or better than his.

9. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to ask, are you going to school somewhere for this industry. I feel you have a lot of knowledge but you post random things on here like you just learned it to make yourself feel big and smart.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Groomer

Groomer LawnSite Bronze Member

a perfect lawn does not exist.