The Perfect Lawn

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Smallaxe, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Busa Dave

Busa Dave LawnSite Member
    from DFW

Very simple with Tiff 419 just mow every 4 to 5 days vertical and then horizontal each time at 1.0 to 1.5 inches, apply at twice the rate Milogranite every 4 weeks, preemergents 3 times a year and water as needed. Will look like a golf course fairway mine does.

2. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

We offer three options: organic, natural and natural based IPM. Attempting to substitute organic products with chemical products without instituting sound cultural methods will lead to undesirable results.

Corn Gluten when applied properly in the spring, followed by mowing high, proper irrigation and fall seeding works well. I don't see a use for Garlic Barrier in turf applications. There are other organic products which work well for insect control. Milky Spore takes a long time to be effective against Jap Beetle larva, but do not control other white grub species. Again there are other organic products which work well on grubs.

We have found that once organic matter and sound cultural methods have been in place for a year, the need for disease and insect controls decreases substantially.

3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Slow release.

4. Hissing Cobra

Hissing Cobra LawnSite Senior Member

How much slow release? What's the product of choice? My two Dimension applications are 30% slow release, my Allectus application is 40% slow release, and my winterizer is 75% slow release.

5. Hissing Cobra

Mark,

Any more info on your product of choice? Name, analysis, etc?

6. Mark Oomkes

One-Ap......

It's been discussed here several times.

7. Hissing Cobra

Mark,

I'm not going on a treasure hunt to find out what product you're using. I don't know why you have to be so elusive. If you're trying to pursuade people to try your program, you haven't done a great job and if you don't want people to know what you're using, why even post? I guess that if you're happy with fertilizing one time per season and can produce a magazine quality lawn by doing so, that's all that matters. I'll choose to stick with my program as I know it works well.

8. Mark Oomkes

http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php?searchid=7155891

Or Spread it and Forget It. Agrium products. Didn't think doing a search was too much to ask.

I was making a point that if you are applying fert every 6 weeks, you aren't using slow release. It might be slower than 46-0-0, but it isn't true slow release.

9. Busa Dave

Busa Dave LawnSite Member
    from DFW

Once a season fertlizer????? That one is so funny I almost spit coke zero on my screen! No such thing---does not exist. Maybe up North where the growing season is 60 days but in the South not a chance..

10. Grasssales2001

Grasssales2001 LawnSite Member

Busa, Just because you don't do it doesn't mean it's impossible. You might be suprised at how little fert is applied at a lot of sod farms. If sod can be grown in from ribbons with 2-3 lbs of N, shouldn't we be able to maintain it with less?