The Perfect Program

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Rwise10230, Oct 27, 2004.

1. Rwise10230

Rwise10230 LawnSite Member

I have my own idea about products and timming of applications in this area of North Carolina. Admittingly, it is based largely on my own understanding of soil nourishment, weed control, competitor's programs (what I can gleam from them), education and information from various individuals in this industry. To date, the 7 step program I perform provides great results but I'm always looking for a better chemical or method.

Just what do you folks feel is the absolutely BEST way to achieve a healthly lawn that competes with the national, or even local fert & squirt companies?

2. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

don't forget above customer service. No matter what products, timing, knowledge, etc, the very basics of a good program is..................................................................Customer service.

3. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

The best way to achieve a healthy lawn encompasses a TON of variables that will vary among states and climate zones. A general question that is worthy of a general answer... no way around it man! :blob3:

4. rwise,

so what is the perfect program in your area?

5. SystemXpert

SystemXpert LawnSite Member

Yes, Just what is your "perfect program"? I live in the Upstate of SC with a similar climate to yours. No, I don't want to steal it, but you should share it with others. I thought I had the perfect program and I posted it on Lawnsite. I got lots of advice and with a bunch of revisions, I have an even better program than when I started.

SystemXpert

6. golfgreen

golfgreen LawnSite Member
    from MA

RWISE,
    You left us hanging.
    golfgreen

7. Rwise10230

Rwise10230 LawnSite Member

Don't mind sharing at all...I"ve invented no real secret here. I suspect MANY do about the same program. However, the program I follow is certainly subject to change depending on the various factors such as weather, the customers existing conditions when I get the contract, their desires. etc.

BUT, the soil test is my roadmap for the final program I come up with which generally means tweaking the micronutrients, and I'm sure that you guys understand that what may work for one will not work for another customer.

But...... for the basic program (and generally I use Lesco products):

Spring 1 - (Feb) a round of pre-emergence with fertilizer (28-5-12) and MAYBE some iron. 1 LB N

Spring 2 - (March- April) - another round of pre-emergence with fertilizer (28-5-12). Spot spray. 1LB N I don't like to seed or aerate in the spring here unless they have an irrigation system. Too many guys out there rip off folks with spring aerating and seeding knowing full well that the new grass will die in the Summer heat. I know....it's good money but I wait until fall.

Summer 1 (May - June) 5-10-20 with iron. - spot spray. Heritage application too with the high end lawns.

Summer 2 (July - August) 5-10-20 with iron. - spot spray. Also apply a round of pre-emergent to help ward off fall weeds if I do not plan on aerating this property until late fall. Lime according to soil test every 2 years.

Fall 1 - Sept - 18-24-12........1 LB N application rate. Spot spray. If not seeded, more pre-emergent.

Fall 2 - (Oct. - Nov) - Same as Fall 1.

Winter - 5-10-31 with 10%FE

I have great results wih Momentum and Drive. Maybe I should consider another, who knows.

Hope this sheds some light on another boring program!

8. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

First of all, this is almost like cooking chili. There are lots of different recipies, but in the several of them produce good results. There is no perfect answer IMO.

That said...I offer this comment.

Your Fall 1 app is fine IF you are overseeding, because what you have here is a starter fertilizer. If you are not overseeding, this should be changed to provide more N like a 28-5-12 for example.

Fall 2 should provide even more N, such as 32-5-7 for example. Fescue needs the majority of its yearly N applied in the fall.

I don't see the need for your specified Winter app. Cold weather will slow growth, but not to the point of stressing the turf. For this application, I would consider using a quick release N such as Ammonium Sulfate or even Ammonium Nitrate. You have several choices there. You want something that becomes soulable quickly as the temps are not favorable for a slow release product.