1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

the perfect smooth lawn cut?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rob's Lawn Care, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Rob's Lawn Care

Rob's Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I have a new gravely 144z,19hp kaw. 44" deck with factory mulch kit baffles and blades gravely sent. i have been using and am very pleased with it. i think it cuts great and i am probably just being to picky, you know, looking for that PERFECT cut lawn. does lowering or raising the deck or the blades really make any difference or just keep it all level? Just curios if anyone else has had the same thought. :rolleyes:
  2. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Every thing should be level from the factory. You can lower or raise the deck for your cutting needs. It depends also on the type of grass that you are cutting, if you lower the deck too much and you start taking more stem off then the blades of grass you could hurt the lawn. I cut mostly St. Augustine down here and cut at 3.75''-4'' in the summer. Also keep your blades sharp, I usually change them out at 20 yards