The physical need to change equipment types

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Ok I'll start this off with a quote and my response....

Re: A ZTR will beat the crap out of your back

Originally posted by Albemarle Lawn
    I think that its the ZTR that messed me up in the first place.

Even the best suspension seat won't help. The suspension seats compensate for the ups and downs, but the steady fore-and-aft jerking is awful.

I have operated everything, thousands of hours ZTR and WB and wide area. My $.02 is you either: 1) hire out help as much as possible 2)use something like a JD stander mower....standing is 3 times less stressful on your back than sitting according to my doctor.

Now this has me conserned that I will have to give up the riders and buy new all over again. This is not good timing to say the least. The suspension seat ain't going to do it huh???

More to come....
  2. Envy Lawn Service

Ok so most of you know I damaged some disks in my back. So now I have the winter to heal, and in the meantime I get to worry....

"Will I ever be able to use my riders again?"

Now hopefully I will. But what if I can't? What do I go for then?

Ferris IS?
    Wright Sentar?
    Wright Stander?
    JD Quick Trak?
    GD Super Surfer?
    Walkbehind and bullrider?
  3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I think if your prone to back problems your gonna have them. I've been on a mower for 7 years and haven't had any major problems.......especially disc related. A good suspension seat would be a good investment. On bumpy yards I get off the backrest and sit on the frt of the seat. Be surprised how much the shock load changes.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Also, I don't know if this helps or not, but sometimes, when riding for rather long periods of time, I find that changing the seat position helps, too. For instance, I usually stretch out, with the seat all the way to the back, but once in a while, if I slide it forward, I suddenly have some back support that wasn't there, before. Also, I would think that with a suspension seat, one shouldn't be afraid to use the adjustments for not only just for your weight, but for different conditions, as well. Under some of the smoother conditions, soften it up quite a bit. The adding of additional padding or back support should not be ruled out, either. A padded seat cushion and/or backrest can go a long way in adding comfort over an accumulated time.
  5. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I stated in earlier posts that I used to have back problems, until I started using a w/b with a velkie. I believe that it has something to do with the postion of the body as well as a lot of the shock is absorbed by the feet, ankles, knees,and hips before the shock is transmitted to the back.
  6. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

i have had back problems for about the last few years now,really goes back to the 724 days of wheelhorse,my doctor told me that besides bouncing on the machine that it also had to do with my wallet in my backpocket,it off centers your disks,so now i dont care a wallet unless in need to...just a thought...
  7. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

My wallet isn't thick enough to throw my disks out of alignment.:D :D
  8. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

You may want to rethink how you work. None of my lawns have me on my WB/velky for more than about 1 hour. Even at that, I may mow a bit, stop and do the trimming, then back on the velky. Of course, I do a fair amount of walking with my other WB, too. This way I’m never more than about ½ hour on the sulky at one time.
    Also, as everyone knows, I’ve changed my velky and put on bigger wheels for a softer ride. FYI, having a stock velky for my helper, there “is” a big difference in comfort between the two. Plus I’ve added a piece of 1 inch commercial machine foam that I stand, on giving even more comfort to the velky.
    FWIW, some people have bad back and some don’t. I have one “non-solidified” vertebra that flexes if I put too much pressure on my back.
    Anyway, all my doctors say riding/sitting is the worst for a back. I don’t know the size of your lawns, but on lawns under 1 acre I feel I’m faster than a ZTR with my velky/combo.

9. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

The problem I have is the opposite. I find I am doing far too much walking. I get tendonitis in my ankle and achilles tendon areas, not to mention the problems with my arches. I want to get away from so much walking and get a rider to take the stress off my feet.
  10. Envy Lawn Service

I wouldn't say I'm prone to back problems. A nasty fall is what got all this started. However, as I said my fear is that I WILL be prone to back problems from now on. I already came to the conclusion a suspension seat was a good investment long before getting hurt. But after trying some I was thinking $600, you gotta be kidding!!! Plus the suspension seat doesn't exactly have cushy padding for long term sitting like the standard seat does.

However, trying the tricks you suggested and forking out the $600 for one seat to try doesn't sound like such a bad idea v/s completely changing equipment. THANKS!