The pita factor

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BOTURF, Jan 16, 2004.

1. BOTURF

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

I had one client from last year who constantly griped about everything.... a real pita ( she was elderly) so at the end of season i told her she needed to find someone else to do her lawn. Basicly i fired her , well she called this week and begged me to put her on the route again this year and being the softy that i am i agreed with one minor change that being i was raising her rate by 30 % and add to that the pita surcharge of 10 % more and she agreed :confused: Didnt really want her back but just threw the numbers at her and she bought it, well guess i will just have to never take the peltors off when mowing her lawn .This is now a 35.00 lawn for 20 min work :)

2. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

Probably should have been that from the beginning.

3. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Or more....

4. jsr2741

jsr2741 LawnSite Senior Member

You think she complained at $20, she'll drive you even more crazy now that she's paying more. Just the nature of the beast.

5. sgreanbean

sgreanbean LawnSite Member
    from cal

whats a pita? i havnt been on this site since hearing eric elm died. So i guess im a little behind on the times.

6. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

Pain in the $ss.

7. BOTURF

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

You guys down on the coast of north carolina must get alot more than we do up here in cornfield country because thats better than a dollar a min now . I try to avg a dollar a min and cant seem to get much more than that , maybe if i was around a big city yes or out in jersey but not out in rural indiana , fsm whats your avg seeing you are up here in indiana ?

8. LAWNS AND MOWER

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

$ per minute rule can be skewed if you are talking about small accounts. The minimum rule comes into effect. I have some cupcake accounts that take me 15 minutes and I get my minimum, $30. Yes that equals $120/hr but that's not my average rate. Minimums can carry those larger accounts where you are there for 2 hours and get $100.

9. DJL

DJL LawnSite Member

When I was younger I worked down the jersey shore during the summer in a sub shop. When the vacationers came down their were ones you wanted to throw through the wall b/c they were so downright rude. So, we decided to charge "a$$hole tax" for certain pita customers. We'd accidentally ring up another item or overcharge them a few bucks just for being so rude.

I guess you could call what you did "pita tax." I like that and should use that for one of my customers.

10. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Boturf-
    Here’s some residential lawns I have had/currently have:
    17 min. $25
    22 min. $27.95
    20-25 min. $32
    25 min $25 (using 21” on that one it’s so small and cluttered)
    40 min. $37.95
    35 min. $40
    20 min. $25
    20-25 min. $25
    30 min. $25 (on a good day it’s 30 min, sometimes alittle less)
    30-35 min. $40

When giving them a price on one I try to shoot for $1 a minute on site, that way after my travel time I’m around $45/hr which is where I want to be for a 52” w/b and sulky, solo 16 year old. Works for me. Some I made more on, some less but I did end up with about $45-47/hr after travel most of the time. Some of them are a little bit cheaper because they were close to another (not side by side but only a couple blocks away) or because they were easy ones or I felt like the person needed a small discount as bad as they needed the lawn mowed. Some of them are a little bit higher because that customer either told or gave me the impression that they would pay alittle more than they had been if I in turn provided them with better service. I lost several of those accounts because people moved, one couple finished college and were able to do it themselves, one had too many medical bills, etc.