The "pitch"

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Electra_Glide, May 24, 2005.

1. Electra_Glide

Electra_Glide LawnSite Member

I'm looking for advice on improving my sales "pitch".

This is my first year with my (part time) light excavation business, and I'm finding that the most difficult part for me is selling to the customer. As the old saying goes, you only get one chance to make a first impression. I do all the obvious things: show up on time for appointments, look and act professional, and be polite, but I just don't feel like I'm doing a good job of selling my company.

I've submitted a number of proposals (about 8), but only have one committed. While some might say that's not bad, I'm not happy with it, and I'd like to have a few more booked.

Each time I go out, I feel like I learn something new. Some of the things I've learned so far:

1) Get a clear understanding of the budget. No sense proposing a $10,000 solution when the customer is looking to spend $3000.
    2) Get a clear understanding of when they want the work done, and don't believe them when they tell you they don't want to have the work done "for a while".

It seems like a lot of people in my area only care about lowest price. I try to move them off of price to the other areas where I feel I can set myself apart, like quality of work and level of service, but I don't feel I'm doing a very good job.

I'd like to hear what techniques other guys use to sell their services. I'd also like to hear how frequently guys follow-up with people you've submitted bids to but have not yet made a decision.

Looking forward to your advice...

2. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member