The Plunge.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Greenkeepers, Jun 4, 2001.

1. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

Hey All-

Well folks, it's finally over. I gave my 2 week notice and my last day is this Friday. Thanks to all of you for sharing information and helping me make this decision.:blob3:

2. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

I'm so jealous. I wish I was in your shoes. I'm hoping for the spring of next year to go FT.

3. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

Congrats and best of luck.

jeffyr:D

4. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Best of luck Mike! :blob3:

5. syzer

syzer LawnSite Bronze Member

Best of luck to you. I am giving my two weeks notice tomorrow =).

6. TONY PENNICK

TONY PENNICK LawnSite Member

Good luck, thinking about doing it next season.

7. You should do better than most with your business and accounting background.

Since you can actually understand the term "gross profit margin" you are heads above the rest.

Get yourself a copy of INFO USA and do an intense hi end residential direct mail campaign. Target your areas and keep to tight specific areas. You don't make any money sitting at traffic lights.

8. trimmer

trimmer LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome to hell!!! LOL Best of luck to you.

9. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Good luck to you, Greenkeepers! :D

I did it last spring and have not looked back since...love it!

If I understand Lawrence correctly you have a business background. This will help you BIG TIME! Doing your monthly P&L will guide you to making the most profit per manhour invested as much as showing you "the bottom line".

The best advice I can give you is to follow Lawrence's advice on targeting your area and keeping it tight. This is my second year and I already have several "clusters" of clients that are right next door to (or across the street from) each other. Unload once-cut 2 or 3, then move on...big time saving (and fuel saving) method. I have a friend who cuts lawns also and he drives all over the county and his fuel bill is astronomical compared to mine...plus I can cut more acres on a typical day. Being close to home is also a real boon on rainy days...why wait around in someones driveway (needing to take a leak,no doubt!) and wondering if the shower will pass soon when you can be home in a couple of minutes, kicked back with your fav cold beverage scoping the WeatherChannel. :D

The only other advice I can give you is to check out prospective clients lawns very carefully for how long it will take you to do it and what equipment it will require before you quote them. I learned the hard way last year....some of my very first lawns take me TWICE as long to complete as my newer ones (and kill my back too)...and they are all one acre lots. And they pay the same...yikes! Being a businessman I know you can appreciate this aspect of the game. I still consider myself very new to the business and still get fooled by a lawn or two. But it improves all the time.

Do good work, be friendly and honest with your clients, and be dependable and you will soon have all the clients you can handle. A small ad in your neighborhood newspaper works well too. Run it for several consecutive weeks so the know your not "fly by night". I brought in some good accounts this way and they in turn have refered me t their neighbors. In my case A $14 a week ad has generated $160 a week in new business so far...and several phone calls a week for bids.

Again, BEST OF LUCK to you in your new venture! :)

Peace!

10. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Congratulations Greenkeepers and Syzer! It is an awkward feeling the first few days, a feeling I will never forget. Its similar to asking a pretty woman to dance.

Stone,
    I reread your "Shark Attack" thread, good info and entertaining dialogue.