The post office and flyers.... any suggestions

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Mike821, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Mike821

Mike821 LawnSite Member

I just asked the post office if it is allowable to post a flyer in the flag of the mailbox. They looked at me like I was on another planet. NO WAY....nothing on the mailbox, in the mailbox, or hanging from the mailbox. that kills my idea of adertizing by tucking the flyers in the flag.

I was thinking about putting a two page roll type two pieces of with the company logo and services offered....the other a coupon type flyer...100 of of any ----service over XXX 1/2 off your first cut with a referal...something to that extent.

These flyers in a plasic clear bag would be placed at the end of the driveway like a newspaper.

What do you think?

I know that door hangers are the way to go....but the target area that I want to hit the homes are not in a development....far apart.

Your thoughts......
  2. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

This has been mentioned before try placinf some rocks in the plastic back to keep them from flying off
  3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Dont do the plastic baggy with rocks...a homeowner will likely toss it in the garbage...put bird seed or grass seed in it. Give them a reason to open it.
  4. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

i say f the mail lady slap em on the box flag, my post office told me not to either and i put out 8,000 and never got a call. if they do call say you didt know its not like they will fine you the first time
  5. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Dont do the plastic bag AT ALL. It's very unprofessional looking. Take the time to put the flier on the door or try postcards and doorhangers.
  6. Mike821

Mike821 LawnSite Member
    Posts: 69 you think that the post card might do the trick. I was thinking just now....what if I put a sapling like a spruce or something along that line in with a flyer (nice one) and both in a bag. Grass seed was also a good idea....but if you send out 10,000 flyers that is a shi$load of grass seed. Saplings are just one the bag.

I am just looking for a good way to advertise the first year out of the gate 2008.
  7. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

How much are saplings? That could end up being pretty expensive. I put fliers on the mailbox flags all the time. I was hesitant after reading all the negative comments about it on here, but during my pesticide test I talked to another company in a different county that told me he has been doing it since he started his business over 15 years ago, and never got called on it yet.

I put out about 5000 this year, never heard one complaint, and picked up a decent amount of business.

Also.... the first time I passed the mail lady as I was putting them out I thought, here we go, I'm gonna get called out on it or she's going to start taking them down. She smiled, waved, and went about her business.

I have also noticed every time I go out I run into a few that are on vacant houses from other companys. Big company's like comcast, culligan water, owens corning (for their new basement refinishing stuff) so this must be pretty standard practice
  8. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I can't believe some of you are advocating putting them on the mailbox.

Just because YOU didn't get caught and/or fined, does not mean someone else won't.

At least they can come back here and blame you for your stupid advice...
  9. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Do the flyers in the flag.......preferably on sat or sun when you can run into the owners..........Got my start this way. Blanketing.....1% response...targeting potential customers....6% response
  10. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

It's a dog eat dog world............just do it and keep looking forward