The power race

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by southside, Aug 24, 2001.

1. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Seems to me that over the past few years,mowers particularly
    ztr mowers are really moving ahead in leaps and bounds,horsepower wise. eg.26efi Kohler,29.5 efi Kawasaki.
    Then you have the diesels. A Dixie Chopper with a 55hp turbo
    Yanmar? Where do you guys see the limit to all of this?
    Can you really have too much power? :)

2. Nope I would like to see a 84" ZTR with a 100hp on it.
    A 7" deep deck with 4 blades

now were talkin' 'bout a mower

LGF:blob1:

3. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

As long as they are actual ratings, I am happy. What gets me are the sears mowers that say "6.5 hp", haha, right. Or the wal-mart riders that say "17.5 hp" Hmm... my father has one of those, lets just say my 12.5 kawi on an exmark metro 36" can waste his rider in cutting quality in every type of grass.

4. The more power you have coming from an eninge the more work you can do obviosly. You can turn the blades faster on a small deck, and can also turn the blades just as fast on a larger deck. You can probably go faster too, however that has many other factors to deal with other than just HP. As far as what roscioli said about false labeling on engines. You must understand that as engines put more and more hours on them they start to lose power if they are not maintained properly. Also, we spend more money on our lawn equipment to get a better quality of cut. If you want to go and purchase a Crapsman lawn machine, then you will be getting what you pay for. Also think about this too, when you have your 36" walk behind it only has to move itself, and power 2 blades with a 12 HP engine. Your father's machine, do we know how sharp the blades are, or the blade tip speed of that particular machine as opposed to your Xmark? Again, just some things to ponder.

5. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

Lawnboy- THe exmark pulls me too with my jungle wheels, i can promise you that the 17.5 hp rating is bull. I have sharpened the blades many times on my fathers rider, and it bogs down to the point of not being able to move in high grass (1 foot plus), it has since it was NEW. I dont write BS on here like some folks, I write what I know, or I state that it is my opinion.

6. wallzwallz

wallzwallz LawnSite Senior Member

Roscioli, I know what your saying on those homeowner mowers, but i gotta believe if it's a name brand motor the HP rating is accurate,I just think the cheaper design doesn't translate the HP to blades as well.

7. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Another thing to consider is the design of the mowing deck. Most if not all commercial mowers have a R & D team who engineer's the deck's to provide proper lift, and exit of clippings. Plus to work within the horsepower of the engine that they use. Do you think Crapsman does the same? I think not. Also consider this, if you look at a top of the line crapsman, your in the $ 3,000 - 4,000 range. Why not look for a good used Z, or get a new stand on, or a new walk behind with a sulke? The deck will be better, the horse power will get the job done on these machines and look just how long the machine will last if only used as a home owner unit. You cant compare crapsman to a commercial unit, or even to a cheaper commercial mower. It's not apple's to apple's.

8. WREBELMACHINE

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

southside

I was wondering how dixie chopper can call there big yanmar 50hp when it's stamped on the engine that it only produces 41.8hp?

9. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

According to their website, they call it a 41 hp, when it should be a 41.8, so they are under, not over. ;)

What started as a 55 hp, then down to 50 hp, is now 41 hp if you look at the website.

Right now in the Chicago area, we have some lawns that are growing at Spring growth rates and I wish I had the 41 hp on my 60". I don't think you can have to much power in these conditions. :)

10. cp

cp LawnSite Senior Member

IMHO you can not have too much power. I would like to have a power plant that operates at maximum with a chip that allows more power when the load increases such as the increased growth at this time of year.

With the new computerized engines this would be possible however not affordable to most.