The Problem with lawn service

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Vassk1, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Vassk1

Vassk1 LawnSite Member

A lot of posters here complain that there isn't enough money in the lawn service business. There really IS good money in this business, however, you make all your money in a short period of time. Correct me if I'm wrong but most of you guys make all your money during 25-30 weeks a year. So you get almost half the year off, providing you don't do much fall/spring clean up work, and make a pretty good sum of money doing it.

You can't predict the snow so plowing is pot luck at best.

Florida is more like a 40 week mowing season which is why most Floridians aren't complaining much.

Sure during the mowing season a lot of you net 300-500 a day, which is great money, but after 25 weeks that money dries up not to mention worrying about droughts and such.

Am I right in this assessment?

If you're wondering the point of this post you're not alone.

Thanks.:waving:

2. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

There is PLENTY of good money in this business if you offer full service from March thru mid December here in the northeast.(I would not be in this business if all I did was mowing..too much downward price pressure) It takes ALLOT of work to get the business built up with the right kind of customer base. If someone is really dedicated to prospering in this business, their income potential is only limited by their ability to hire and retain competent and reliable employees.

As far as the downtime come Dec thru Feb, I have yet to be able to have much of it in winter due to:
    - accounting and tax prep
    - service all the equipment
    - do the renewal contracts
    - do new marketing tasks
    - roll up all job times and evaluate where you made or lost money

and on and on the list goes.

People who think they have 3 months off every year have a rude awakening in store if they truly want their business to succeed

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Gary, you forgot plowing...cha-ching!!!:drinkup:

4. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I was thinking about you last weekend Rod....actually I was really thinking about the fact your pockets would be overflowing with those BIG PlowJockey $'s....you dawg

how many inches did you get over your way?

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

16 they say

6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Your right the key is to keep your overhead in check. B/c the money goes out the window QUICK when your paying big bills in January.

7. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I think more people in here are complaining about the fact that the price keeps going down each year. I know plenty of guys who just mow and do fall clean ups and have no need to plow snow. So I'm sure they are making decent to good money during the spring and summer months. A friend of mine mows full time and cleared over 46k last year. Thats not too bad for a solo guy just mowing. I think the cost of equipment could come down a bit, that would make life easier.