The problem with lawncare is this...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by topsites, Sep 14, 2005.

1. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

On the one hand you got the customer who has basically dirt and weeds who doesn't give a crap and won't spend a dime to improve it and on the rare occasion you get the special nutcase who thinks that for 50-60 bucks you can turn THAT into the lush green of a golf-course, overnight would be nice.

Then you got the exact opposite nutcases who call for a complete re-vamp of the lawn and they're willing to spend money and talk about how bad it looks and I race out there thinking FINALLY I'm going to get some work, but when I get there the lawn is A+++ impeccable and I gotta walk through with a magnifying glass to spot the weed variety which supposedly drives them crazy... And not to say there is nothing I can do BUT I have to inform them their lawn is about as good as it is going to get, sheesh...

Of course, NOW is the time of year the cutiepies with their last-minute long-term lawncare contracts want to hop on the bandwagon because you realize that in about a month AND after you get to cut the grass once MAYBE twice, they would like you to take care of the leaves and oh by the way, do NOT for one minute believe the promise of them being your grass-customers all NEXT year.

Out of the three the first 2 frustrate me but the last kind downright pisses me off, that takes a lot of nerve to come around with that kinda crap when they know d@mn well they're pulling a fast one. Of course my favorite is to cut the grass once or twice and then when it comes time to do the leaves they get surprised with the high estimate (not because I make it so but for some reason THESE particular folk ALWAYS want the leaves hauled!).

2. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had the fall clean-up customers turn into long term customers. I see it as a way to get a foot in the door. But I know what you mean about all of the scenarios cause they don't all turn into long term customers. I know what you mean about types #1 and #2 as well. Don't forget the ones who own a weed pit and want it to become the outfield in Yankee stadium, but you can tell they wouldn't even be able to afford $10 per week mowing, and start right off asking about bi-weekly when it grows fast and less often when it dries out. ARGH!

3. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

leaves are big money makers, if it means getting one or two cuts and the fall cleanup job, thats fine with me. 45-55 dollars per man hour is nice and most are a few hour jobs, I'll make a killing this fall and probably profit more just this fall then i did mowing all summer. Plus the fact that the truck has the leaf box on it thats painted up real nice with the name being HUGE on the side its good advertising. Come in, make the lawn look absolutely great and neighbors might take notice, next spring you might get calls. Gotta look at the good of it all Topsites.

4. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

We don't like to work for the "have to kill every single weed" people. I feel there is very little money involved for the pita factor.
    We price leaf clean up as stand alone work, we don't intend to take them on as regular customers very often. If it happens then fine but we don't push the fact or offer a discount on the leaves. Leaves are also a big money maker for us and alwasy a nice end of season pick me up. It helps to remind us that lawn care is good money.

5. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

tall dry grass on a hot windy day.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

This may be my first year where I *might* get the money I'd like to get for leaves, but thus far this has NEVER been my experience. I will quote higher prices for sure, I have my money for winter saved in the bank and don't need the leaves to carry me through.

My general experience with leaves is EVERYBODY calls you for leaves, and by everybody I mean exactly that. So, quote standard prices left and right and it is the time of year where I get the MOST negative answers to my estimates and it really rags on me after a while but the one bonus is that if you DO go out and give the estimates, the memory of a higher price lingers with them until after spring, so I get less of the bs in the following spring.

See, nowhere on my ad does it state that I do leaves... It's just not something I care to draw business with, perhaps it is my attitude as well, I'm sure it doesn't help, heh.