The pro's and con's of running doubles

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greengiant9963, Nov 18, 2005.

1. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

First off I have to say that I have never run double blades before but have heard alot of good things about them. Also a few bad. I am considering starting to run double blades next year. I have a 52inch lazer hp with 23hp kaw. and a 60 inch lazer with 25hp kol...the problem that I am running into is mowing dewy grass early in the moring and all the clumping. Would this cut the clumping problem down. Thanks.

2. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

If your clumping with a lazer, you just need to make a few adjustments. 1st raise your deck 1/4 of an inch and run straight low lift blades. Then you'll just have to double cut, which is fine if your stripping.

It shouldn't matter if your running the old trivantage or the Ultra cut deck.

Doubles are just goona kill your horsepower, and wear your clutch out quicker. I could see if you had like a 29 or 31 hp on the 60", but I would leave the 25 alone it working hard enough.

3. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I've never run doubles on my Scag 61" TT w/ 22hp Kawasaki, but during spring and fall I always run double gators on the Bunton 48" w/b w/ 14hp Kohler. The reason I don't run them on my Scag is because of (like Jpocket said) the low hp and electric clutch. If you're shredding leaves just go ahead and throw on a single set of high lift mulching gator blades and block the discharge chute.

4. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I have found that doubles cut down on clumping. They also seem to pack the deck more easily as well with the dewy grass so you have to scrape a little more - but running doubles is still worth it IMO.

5. FinalCut05

FinalCut05 LawnSite Member

I really like running double's on my lesco 52/19. It doesnt seem to lose any hp at all. Just cuts, discharges and mows smoother and alot better. I double gators for now and the leaves and grass clippings are almost non existant. Some times i even have to mow slower cause i cant tell if there is anything coming out of the deck. Also with wet grass, I dont experience any build up what so ever, The deck is even cleaner than with out them, I have to mention that i also took out a blade spacer to reduce blow out as well.
    Hope this helps.
    Tony