the quest for stripes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clean green, Jun 2, 2004.

1. clean green

clean green LawnSite Member

Any ideas to help enhance the stripes for my 36'' scag belt drive?? I've had several clients wanting me to strip their yard. What is the cheapest, most efficient method?
  2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

what kind of grass are you cutting out there in KC? that's the first question we need to answer.
  3. clean green

clean green LawnSite Member

I'm mostly cutting tall fescue and kentucky blue.
  4. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

ok, those will stripe just fine, wasn't sure how much further our warm season grasses extended. you can make a kit from chain link or other items. do a search for stripe kits and check all the threads.
  5. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

you can make a chain kit,or order one. Roller. or a rubber flap on the back. What kind of mower are you using?Here is a pic of my rubber flap. its made out of an old bed liner bolted on a metal bar.

sample pics 089.jpg
  6. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 LawnSite Member

I have a chain kit I made for my 737's. I'll have to take a pic tonight. I am thinking of a roller though. They look like they make a better, more solid stripe.
  7. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

check the deck angle also my scag is stock and it stripes great.
  8. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

The Pro slide with a roller gives great stripes.
  9. Johnson

Johnson LawnSite Member

I have an older 48" Exmark belt drive w/b. They do not have a striping bar/kit for this mower anymore. I drilled 4 holes in the back of the deck and used the plastic edging material to bolt to the back of the deck. It striped great! The omnly draw back is that I have already had to replace the plastic 3 times this year due to it getting worn out or ripping off when mowing.
  10. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

Here's my chain striper